WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menowerit; deep breathing

Am a bit 'over' 2017. It began with some edginess to it which challenged; it challenged my philosophy, it challenged my personality, it challenged my pocket. Probably, it is fair to say, the latter point was a major part of the challenge to the other two. (That, and a couple of very, very difficult people.) It continued to do this right up until last week. There is an uncanny fluttering in my nether regions, that there is more of the same pending.

However, I'm still breathing, albeit a little heavier, a little deeper. Could be asthma, but am fairly certain it's the psycheffects!

Just have to keep reciting my mantra. "IT DOESN'T MATTER!"

Nothing really matters, when all is said and done. Only so much as we attach to 'the matter', does it matter to us. Yes, being without hot running water for a week might be inconvenient, but it wasn't the end of things. A boiled kettle and a bucket were still more luxury than many have in this world. Now the hot water is back (and the heating, with it), I feel rather indulgent. Pampered. That doesn't mean I am ungrateful for the luxury. Only that some perspective was restored when it was absent.

It can be difficult at times, though, to not feel a wee tad persecuted by 'the world'. Take the Christmas sendings. I made a big effort two weeks back, all in one day, to get all my mail and parcels done. The e-card was created and sent out and that, at least, I know to have arrived at the quite large number of addresses. In Gmail, the 'daemon' sends back what can't go and does so very hastily.

With snail mail, though, it is not so straightforward. Let me say, it is not that one looks for acknowledgement - even I don't necessarily always tell folks their card has arrived. However, to discover that ten days after posting things have not arrived - well that is disconcerting. What do we pay the postage for? Yes, it's Christmas and Hanukkah and Kwanzaa and New Year and the snails can only go at a slow maximum speed; but really? Sigh.

Meanwhile, let me say a collective 'thank you' to all who have sent/posted to the Hutch. Your thoughts and wishes are appreciated and they brighten that little corner of gloom which lingers despite all my best efforts!


11 comments:

  1. Well, Yam, you matter. The new year will be a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to what Joanne said YaYa...you MATTER and I'm very thankful you somehow warriored (is that a word) thru all the turmoil. Had it not been for you I suspect the repairs to the flats would still be PENDING...you cared enough to take that beautiful Scottish highland cow by the horns and get things done.

    This is such a beautiful post. It reminds us in the end what matters is our friends and family.
    Huggles and kitty kisses madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      Hahaha - oh, you made me giggle with the image of the horns! Very apt, actually. You are so correct; family, friendship and capital 'ell' Love are the valuables of life!!! Luv ya heaps. Yxx

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad that hot water and heat have been restored. I remember some years ago when we were without running water for 6 months. That was a challenge and yet we learned to navigate it quite well. As you mention, these taken-for-granted luxuries we enjoy are such that many in the world can only imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry 2017 has been such a challengingly year. That was my 2016. I am glad you found perspective. The winter we had no power for the 72 hours leading up to Christmas (and no water because we are on a well) our house temperature fell to 11c in the living room (4 in our bedroom which we didn't go in). We had dragged a mattress in front of the fire. We had to add wood every few hours. 2 cats, 2 dogs and 2 people slept on a double mattress. The bath I had when the power came back and the hot tea I got to drink were the best ever. It also reminded me how fortunate I am to have these temporary problems.
    I hope 2018 is filled with extra joy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are sorry this year has been a tough one for you. Paws crossed for a much better 2018.
    hugs
    Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  6. we hope so much that 2018 brings a lot of good things to you and me and to all of us... hugs to you and lots of potp

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, I had to cute back on gifts and Christmas cards thru the snail mail.
    Take care and I wish you a happy and healthy 2018. Happy Monday, enjoy your day and new week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have handled the year with such grace. Part of why I like to spend so much time out in the forest and wilderness is that it reminds me that, in the big picture, we don't matter.

    However, individual people matter deeply to those who love them. Thus, you matter to a lot of people. I hope that 2018 is good to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent Spark!
    I have been starting my daily journalling each morning with Today, I Start my life Anew!
    I can't believe how much my mindfulness has increased and now the days do not gang up on me as I can live one day at a time.
    Love barb

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏