Pages

Read About...

Menokreatikkul; Saturday Stitches


As I mentioned last week, I didn't use up the five balls of yarn I took with me in The Grey to finish the Lorinda jacket... I was pretty sure I had at least 150m of yarn leftover in the fifth ball. Some of you may guess the next item to get cast on... Yup, had to be a matching beanie! 

I decided to start as I know how for a reliable fit: a crochet magic loop and double crochets (treble, if you are in the UK). I worked the crown to 56 of those crochet stitches, then switched to the circular knitting pins and picked up through the back loops of each stitch. I then increased every second stitch (kfb) to 112 knit stitches on the first round, then added eight more stitches in the second round, so that I had 120 in total, and the perfect number to have ten panels of the 12-stitch pattern borrowed from Lorinda. I simply emulated what I had done for the lower trim of the garment and finished it with simple stocking stitch and six rows of purl for the brim. (I chose 120 based on other hat patterns I read for knitted hats.)

In the top two images, you see it with the brim flat... but I think I favour it with the brim rolled back over the main work, as seen in the lower two images in the collage. (Although I see now that I had it on back to front, as you can see the 'seam' of the round join... will have to pay attention to that!) Anyooh, that was this week's work.



14 comments:

  1. It looks great to me. I have little idea about this sort of products, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the toque! (that's what we call these knitted caps here in Canada! Yam, you were NOT late in sending me condolences. I just published it about 20 hours ago. Not even a day yet. I will miss Kozmo. he has been with me for 16 almost 17 years and his solid presence was the glue for the 2 tabbies. He hardly ever got angry with the tabbies, he was affectionate and a great bed companion (except for all the fine black hair that would get up my nose). I will not miss his new habit of SCREAMING at the top of his lungs when he wanted out (since he went deaf). He is missed. Love Barbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent, it's wonderful! I'll make one like that for myself for the gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your beanie is just as beautiful as your matching sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hat’s great. The model’s not too bad either. 😏

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your hat turned out great. I love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAM I do love the stitching and OMW it matches your quilt in the background
    I like the brim rolled up too.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Yam,
    I love your hat, well done! The yarn color is pretty. Take care, have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an intricate pattern. It turned out just great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the hat with the beautiful design and gosh, that's a lot of counting stitches!

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏