Two more of my favourite panels from the walls of the hall at Ford, Northumberland. Lady Waterford was most certainly talented... but I have to think that she had stamina, too, to work at height like this!
Hari Om good question, but no, the wall paintings at Lady Waterford Hall are not true frescoes. They are life-sized watercolour paintings executed on large sheets of paper. I had my tongue in my cheek about her 'working at height'... these were produced in her art studio, tempered, then applied to the walls (like papering). She was working at the height of her skill! Yxx
Hari OM I pondered that at the time... closer to Lurcher, I'd say, though as big as Deerhounds! Lady W did use locals as models for these works, so those dogs probably did live and work on the estate. Being Northumbria, Lurcher is a good call... Yxx
Despite Presbytarian upbringing none of these tales are familar. We seem to have been regaled with New Testament dogma. The paintings are good though - why has she not got more fame and recognition? (Because she is she?)
Hari OM quite possibly... although I don't think that Lady W herself particularly wanted artistic recognition. This was very much a hobby for her, albeit a very fruitful one. Yxx
I read your comments about how they were painted on paper and then put up. It makes no difference where and how they were painted to my mind. There are magnificent. People who can paint like this are just incredible
Die Dame hatte auf jeden Fall Talent. Was mich erstaunte, als ich über die Wandbilder las, ist, dass sie erst auf Papier gemalt wurden und dann auf die Wände aufgezogen. So blieben ihr bestimmt die Rückenschmerzen erspart.
Nice to hear these were painted in her studio and then hung like wallpaper, so the stamina joke works either way. I'd love to have sat in that hall as a village kid, doing lessons under Bible scenes with faces I'd recognise from my own street. Thanks for the second round, Yamini. https://canalsandcitrus.blogspot.com
These are lovely works. But Jealousy to me seem to be a waste emotion.
ReplyDeleteTHose are beautiful! Are those called frescoes?? (One of those dogs looks about to taste what Jacob is cooking...)
ReplyDeleteHari Om
Deletegood question, but no, the wall paintings at Lady Waterford Hall are not true frescoes. They are life-sized watercolour paintings executed on large sheets of paper. I had my tongue in my cheek about her 'working at height'... these were produced in her art studio, tempered, then applied to the walls (like papering). She was working at the height of her skill! Yxx
Lessons in the Old Testament. All these stories were part of my childhood - both in catechism classes and mother's tales at home.
ReplyDeleteits wonderful and we love to see and to read the stories.... btw... what do you think., are the dogs lurchers or deerhounds?
ReplyDeleteHari OM
DeleteI pondered that at the time... closer to Lurcher, I'd say, though as big as Deerhounds! Lady W did use locals as models for these works, so those dogs probably did live and work on the estate. Being Northumbria, Lurcher is a good call... Yxx
Despite Presbytarian upbringing none of these tales are familar. We seem to have been regaled with New Testament dogma. The paintings are good though - why has she not got more fame and recognition? (Because she is she?)
ReplyDeleteHari OM
Deletequite possibly... although I don't think that Lady W herself particularly wanted artistic recognition. This was very much a hobby for her, albeit a very fruitful one. Yxx
Beautiful art! Thanks for sharing. Take care, Happy Monday. Have a wonderful week!
ReplyDeleteI read your comments about how they were painted on paper and then put up. It makes no difference where and how they were painted to my mind. There are magnificent. People who can paint like this are just incredible
ReplyDeleteThis is the kind of work you need to visit a few times and really examine all the intricate details. Great visual appeal to be sure.
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely breathtaking. I can't imagine working at that height it makes me dizzy to think about it
ReplyDeleteHugs Cecilia
The artwork is absolutely gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteLoved the painting!
ReplyDeleteThat is such beautiful art work.
ReplyDeleteAmazing painting, Great works.
ReplyDeleteDie Dame hatte auf jeden Fall Talent. Was mich erstaunte, als ich über die Wandbilder las, ist, dass sie erst auf Papier gemalt wurden und dann auf die Wände aufgezogen. So blieben ihr bestimmt die Rückenschmerzen erspart.
ReplyDeleteNice to hear these were painted in her studio and then hung like wallpaper, so the stamina joke works either way. I'd love to have sat in that hall as a village kid, doing lessons under Bible scenes with faces I'd recognise from my own street. Thanks for the second round, Yamini.
ReplyDeletehttps://canalsandcitrus.blogspot.com
What a wonderful pair of watercolors! I always enjoy works of art that record pieces of the bible or periods of history.
ReplyDelete