Let me round off the Ford visit. After a drop into the local garden and gift shop (yes, we bought stuff!), we wandered along to the church, where we paid respects at the grave of Lady Louisa Waterford, and sat and enjoyed the interior for a little while. Note the heat haze on yonder hillsides!
By the time we reached the couple of miles up the road to Etal and had a wander through the castle ruins, we were ready for something more. So we sat at The Lavender Tearooms (outside) and enjoyed a late lunch/early tea. Aitch had the cheese and ham sandwich with salad and crisps (and that was filled to spilling over), whilst I had the Brie and Cranberry toastie, which was also very well filled and absolutely delicious. I didn't capture the tearoom, but I did snap the pub across the road from it... as well as some of the castle.
The river connecting them all is called the Till. As you might imagine, Ford got its name from the crossing you see on the map, which is now bridged. (According to Newcastle Uni, the current stone Ford Bridge was built in 1809. However, it incorporates older sections from earlier crossings at the site, including an arch that dates back to the 16th century... You can see a photo on this link.)
At that marker where it mentions the railway, is where the watermill is sited... that and a ride on the wee train will have me visiting there again at some point!
Then, to finish off this post, up near Etal Castle, is a true and proper ford, still used. It was a big day, and we returned home very satisfied with our outing!












Thank you for sharing your stunning photos
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing church, stained glass and landscape! Thank you for showing me places that I'd never get to see otherwise.
ReplyDeleteHello,
ReplyDeleteI love the church and the castle. The landscapes are lovely too. Beautiful photos YAM. Take care, enjoy your day!
The sight of that pub makes me long to be in the UK again. I have had some wonderful meals in English pubs. When I was still much more of a carnivore than I am now I had a steak and ale pie in a pub in Shrewsbury which I am quite sure would have rated a whole new Michelin category! In Scotland I stayed at the Grant Arms Hotel in Granton-on-Spey. If ever you are in that area, YAM, I highly recommend it. Maybe they serve afternoon tea or something like that.
ReplyDeleteGorgeous photos! Love the stonework and the beautiful church with it's stained glass windows and I would love the visit the pub across the street. What a sweet building!
ReplyDelete