Having completed the Lorinda project and being quite pleased with the results (and now pondering which yarn would be best suited to another of the same - whether I have any in my stash or if there is a need to go shopping... ... ... 🫢), to keep my hands busy, I picked up the sampler throw that I began a few months back. What do I mean by 'sampler'? I opted to use a large hook (9mm), and worked each colour twice for between two and six rows depending on the size of the stitch - and each colour section was completed in a different stitching pattern. Some of the stitches are recognised and established in the crochet library - one or two I just made up!
This used up bargain yarn I bought in Banff last year: Stylecraft Special, Aran weight, 100% acrylic fibre. Each ball was about 195m (215 yds). Unless one is making an heirloom piece, acrylic is the best for blankets, pillow covers and the like, because it is so very durable and washable. It puts up with a lot that natural fibres would be less forgiving about. I made this smallish throw to cover my lap and legs while sitting, or my shoulders and head while working in bed... It just falls short of a metre square. Having used the large gauge hook, the fabric is drapey and cuddly and just the right thing to have made as we head down into the cooler weather! I do have quite a lot of the yarn remaining, so there's bound to be another one - or some beanies and scarves - appearing soon!




It's been ages since I played with any yarn.
ReplyDelete