As I've been static for a few weeks, gathering nature shots has been a bit curtailed. I did rather like the solitary Heron, though...
For those who are interested, Gulls are protected by law in the UK - particularly as the Herring Gull is now on the Red (endangered) List, and the Lesser Black-backed is starting to show signs of threat, too.
I was equally enamoured of spotting a Great Black-backed Gull on the shores of Holy Loch... these are the largest of the gull species, and are distinguished from their more populous Lesser Black-backed cousins by their fully black wings, pinkish-blue leg colouring, and overall size. There was nothing here to show the size in context, but trust me, this fellow was standing tall. Sadly, I didn't get a shot in before he decided to collapse his legs and start swimming, so you can't see that bit of him...
... I take that back... if you look to the lower left of the image, you can just see an out-of-focus Redshank. They are not particularly small birds (about the size of a Bantam), but as it is splitting the distance between the Gull and me, you do start to get an inkling of that bird's size!
Since we are on Gulls (again), here are a pair of Black-headed Gulls who performed a little preening dance in front of the van. These are about two-thirds the size of a Herring Gull and, for most of the year, in fact, only have the black patch behind the eye that you see here. The full hood only flourishes during mating season.
Now here's a beauty shot just to round the post off... oh, and a reminder that next week is final Friday already!!!





Pictures that carry the potential for some great stories.
ReplyDeleteInteresting info about the gulls. Love the image of the tall grasses seemingly growing out of the conifer.
ReplyDeletewe love the last photo... and yes the shore can tell lots of stories... maybe therefore they are called shor(e)t stories?
ReplyDeleteThanks for the gull coverage, YAM. A fellow lover of these oft maligned winged beauties is always appreciated. May I point out, however, that it is a Great Black-backed Gull that kept you company, not a Greater Black-backed Gull. As you are doubtless aware, it is the world’s largest gull.
ReplyDeleteHari Om
DeleteHahaha.. a case of the fingers doing their own thing on the keyboard... and of course spell-checker wouldn't know the context! I do actually say it is the largest of the gull species... Yxx
Love the Heron and the grasses in the last shot is just beautiful!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful views of the water and the birds. I love Herons and gulls. Take care, Happy Friday! Have a great day and a happy weekend.
ReplyDeleteLoved the last photo!
ReplyDeleteI do love seeing your coastal scenery!
ReplyDeleteYAM each snap is amazing I love the water and the background and Herons oh my
ReplyDeleteThe last snap is a million dollar snap.
I'm ready for FFF
Hugs Cecilia
PS meant to tell you I watched Billy and Molly and will watch it many more times.
DeleteMarlu loves otters. I passed on the info to her
Deine Bilder von der Küstenlandschaft sind sehr schön. Ich liebe die Küste sehr.
ReplyDeleteI'm an avid bird watcher here. We have the Blue herons and I'm lucky to bike past a rookery. Also have the Herring Gulls. I so enjoy seeing these thru your lens.
ReplyDelete