WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menokreatikkul; Saturday Stitches


Well... all that Stylecraft budget Aran-weight yarn sitting beside me, just yelling to be used up...

One of the advantages of the algorithmic intrusion on the tubular is that sometimes, just sometimes, some real wee gems turn up. I wasn't particularly thinking about learning new stitches for scarves and beanies, but this short video caught my attention.


Now, this 'Japonese' (sic) style looks like a variation on Continental-style knitting, using the yarn from the left, and almost hooking it through the loops. I was fascinated, but not all that keen on retraining my hands to that method of stitching. However, the resulting pattern certainly looked worth attempting... Could it be done in the familiar British knitting style? I had to try.


It's really quite simple to execute, but the result is quite impressive. I completed this pretty much in real time with the video. Of course, the YAMster's mind went to all sorts of ways to adapt and vary this pattern. Having started, could this just continue and become a scarf? Yes, it could. Could the windows be created over four rows instead of eight, making a much lacier pattern? I rather think it could. Could one work this with short rows to create a shaping for a beanie/bonnet/toque? Don't see why not...

All this begging to be found out. Will you or won't you see results of experimentation in next Saturday's stitches post? Chances are fair to middlin'!



5 comments:

  1. you could work it in a circle on a loop needle (or 4 double pointed ones) just substituting plain knit rounds for the purled ones. I understand that is also a middle eastern way of knitting - the purl wraps are in the opposite direction to ours so the knit rows have to go througb the back of the stitch so as not to twist them and make tight fabric. Looks like an easy and elegant lace. It would make a good baby blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to seeing the outcome of your dexterous thinking!
    Hope all is well.
    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very pretty stitch and I love the yellow yarn!

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏