The Final Friday Feedstuffs in India also - although technically I have two more Fridays as such on this ancient soil.
On the meNu today is...
As always the ingredients given are for one person, so multiply accordingly and make the recipe your own with my love!
- 1 nest of dry eggless noodles (I used the japanese soy flour kind - but really the choice is yours, but keep an eye as every noodle cooks differently)
- 6-8 1" cubes of paneer (if you cannot access paneer, then Haloumi will do)
- Half cup freshly hulled peas (or frozen if fresh unavailable)
- 1 cup sliced and diced green cabbage
- 1 tablespoon sesame or sunflower oil
- Quarter teaspoon each of turmeric powder, coriander powder, paprika powder
- Half a vegetable stock cube
- 1 cup (250-300mls) water
- Only season with salt and pepper once you have tasted the cooked product.
In non-stick pan, place the oil, paneer and vegetables. Bring it to heat and allow them to saute for a few minutes. When one side of the paneer cubes is starting to colour, add the spices and two or three teaspoons of water. Stir well then allow the saute to simmer and turn the paneer occasionally to ensure browning on all sides. Cabbage should also start to go clear in colour.
Now add the noodles, broken up a bit, plus all the water and the half stock cube. Bring to boil, then allow to simmer uncovered until nearly all the liquid has been absorbed and there is a thickish sauce-like product left coating the food.
NB - I would use a little more flavouring than have written here - but am catering to the uninitiated and simple palettes. If you are keen for more pungency, you could add a pinch of chilli powder, some garam masala, or add a radish like daikon to the mix. Get creative in the kitchen &*>