WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menompkinocide.... creating chills for FFHT

Over at Murphy and Stanley's place it is last Friday of the month story day... click to read more!!!

Normally I use a photo to prompt my stories and this is no exception; we are also given a sentence by M&S which we have to highlight in the story.

This month it is "...after that I never turned my back on another pumpkin."
_________________________________________________________________________________________

It was a dark and stormy night.......................................................................................... .....................................................................................................................................................................................

Rubbish - it was practically broad daylight. No; not that either.

In these more Northern climes, at the end of October, it's pretty much getting dark by tea time. So it was nearly dark. As it was tea time, I was racing home. A bowl of hot soup and a chunk of home made bread would do just fine after being out in the wild and woolly, early winter weather............... ............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Oh okay. It was the suburbs; though they can be wild you know. I was the one who was all woolly, trying to keep the wind away. Halloween is early winter........................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Tsk...alright then. Late autumn. It was no less bluster and chill for the nomenclature.

As I was saying, I was rushing home for that bowl of soup and thinking how I had prepared it the evening before. It was a HUGE pumpkin to chop up, but the new knife Albert had given me was sharp as shark's gnashers and made the job easier than anticipated. First I cut right through the middle of that monster. The pale grey-green skin (it was a "Queensland Blue") was thick and leathery. The bright orange flesh almost seemed to beam light into the kitchen.

Next I cut the two halves into half. Each of the four pieces again were cut into two - and so on until there were thirty two bits on the bench.

Then I pulled out the special peeler; the kind which you pull down the body of the vegetable to rip the skin from the flesh. Pumpkins are a difficult breed and need that adapted tool. It's a bit like stripping bark from a tree. Not that I've tried that - but you get the drift. The carrots are a less rowdy bunch altogether.

The point is, one has to work for one's pumpkin carrot silk soup! The stock, herbs and spices... they cause no trouble at all.

I pulled out the soup pan and got the heat cranked up. Turning back to the bench, the naked pumpkin flesh made me pause for a moment. It appeared to be weeping. For the briefest moment I thought I heard noises.

Anyway. All got put in the pot, boiled and simmered for due time and then blitzed and then sieved.... oh yeah, it got done good and proper. Now it awaited my arrival to be heated once more, and get dunked with that bread.

Just as I was drawing past the neighbour's place, I heard some unusual noises. There was a kind of rustling and a low rumbling. I stopped by the wall for a moment and the noise stopped. Remembering the peculiar sensation of noise last night, I started to feel colder than the wind was making me. I sneaked a peek round and over the gate. At the bottom of their path, near the door, the kids had put out their jackolanterns. It occurred to me that perhaps I might have attacked the pumpkin through its head and created a lantern myself. Then again, why bother? No kids at my place and I certainly didn't want to be encouraging any unwanted callers seeking sweeties or playing silly sausages.

I moved on.

The noises grew loud. VERY LOUD.

I turned back to look over the gate.........................................................................................................
.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

I could hear them................... "WE ARE THE PUMPs AND YOU KILL OUR KIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!  WE ARE THE PUMPs AND YOU KILL OUR KIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!  WE ARE THE PUMPs AND YOU KILL OUR KIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I ran backwards the remaining few yards to home. 

"Alll-BERT! Pour that soup away - NOW!!! It has gone sour. We'll have cheese on toast!"...

...after that I never turned my back on another pumpkin.


14 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness what a terrifying experience.
    Well done with another great FFHT.
    Cheers!
    Gail.
    PS Bertie and I toyed with a 'kin of pump' theme for this month, but before that idea gelled, Bertie had a terrible halloween nightmare and he will be telling you about that tomorrow morning...

    ReplyDelete
  2. BOL! That is a great story. Gotta admit there was a little part where we kinda did start feeling sorry for the pumpkin having to give his all and everything!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, cute story. I hope you do not have Pumpkin head nightmares.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great 'seasonal story' and lovely photo with perfect ambiance!

    Wishing you a happy weekend,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are never turning our back on a pumpkin after reading that. Great tail!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes! That was kinda scary!
    hugs
    Mr Bailey, Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  7. That gave us chills for sure...and we will never turn our back to a pumpkin either!!!
    Smileys!
    Dory, Jakey, Arty & Bilbo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh What a horrifying story! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMD I was thrilled.... till the moment with Allllll-bert!... I spat my tea on my sweater... well tea makes no coffee stains, right :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. MOM IS SHAKING IN HER SIZE 8 1/2 AND WELL I DON'T KNOW WHAT SIZE MY FEETS ARE BUT ALL FOUR ARE QUIVERING.
    BRAVO
    HUGS MADI AND MOM

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what a fun and super scary FFHT for today! OMD it did give me the giggles, right up until it got creepy. BOL Those nasty pumps look evil...maybe they just wanted to try the soup too?
    BTW: If you have any of that cheese left, I'll be right over.
    Grr and a Spooky Woof,
    Sarge, Furiend

    ReplyDelete
  12. We were actually thinking about how good the soup would taste. Even though we have rather warm falls and plenty of sunshines, although today it is windy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy Puppies that was kind of scary.


    Happy Halloween

    Ziggy Out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have such an imagination!!!! xx

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏