WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

MenoSunday; Life Lived Easy

Image result for angst clipartThinking on about the 'desert island discs'; it struck one that everything in the collection is actually an 'album'; singles, as such, were never bought. One or two were given, when black vinyl was still the playing medium (Mack the Knife... The Mighty Quinn... oh yeah, they were the songs....). Picking just one item from an album is, therefore, fraught with the risk that by the time this goes to air, it might be thought that another would be a better representative.

Oh the angst.

As an aside, you did realise that virtually everything I have 'played' you this year represented something out of my personal collection??? I do try to only provide here something that I have already paid money for. Not everything, but most. Thus, in a protracted way, you have already been seeing my DIDs. This is not an excuse to wriggle out of the challenge. No, am just dawdling for time as I muck around in the back of my head which, out of the 27 Jethro Tull albums (you read that right - 27) would be my pick and then which song..................... sigh................ sigh again................ I love Tull for their strongly environmentally and socially aware lyrics which stand as poems without the music. Then with the music, they have an enduring and classic quality. This is borne out by the fact that several  Symphony Orchestras have taken up Tull items in their repertoire.

I have attended no less than three Tull concerts, two in Edinburgh and one in Sydney (it would have been four, but the last one was cancelled due to Ian suffering a major DVT incident; he wrote at length about it on his website (definitely worth a read - very entertaining and informative!) They have always been wonderful and giving performers and on all three occasions, we got at least half an hour more than was scheduled.

Right-oh. Going the Heavy Horses. This clip is brill as it also provides the lyrics (though Ian's always very good in diction, it is nice to read as it goes).

9 comments:

  1. Enjoyed listening to Jethro Tull again - it's been many a long year, although my small vinyl record collection does contain Aqualung.
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      Thanks Gail... There are just certain times when only Tull will do... and with the news of Paris, I did wonder if I might take action to delay this selection - but decided that actually, the pathos and heart of Ian's words lamenting loss of tradition is just as fitting as any other choice. In a way, this echoes the singing of the Marseillaise - defiance and solidarity are what help nations through strife. Acknowledgement, then striding on... Thanks for listening. YAM xx

      Delete
  2. I have been to a Jethro Tull concert many years ago, one of my favorites. Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have listened to Jethro Tull for many a year and wore our my Aqualung record album by listening to it too many times.

    A concert would have been grand. I did see Led Zeppen in Seattle when I was about 17 though, standing in line for 7 hours to buy tickets with my high school friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never been to a Tull concert. Its a great song!!

    Diana and Oreo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to one JT concert in the early 90s,. Ian Anderson will always be one of my favorite flutists and I believe we have no less than 10 Jethro Tull albums :-). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never saw them "in the furs" but I love their music. Living in the past was one of my favourite songs :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just listened to Nicola Sturgeon on Desert Island discs. Disappointingly boring choices, I thought. Much prefer yours! Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All reams and reams of the golden oldies abound! xx

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏