WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menospection; Delving Deep

I recently copied down all the Mac History posts into OneNote... there's a vague intention to tidy them up and make them into a flowing wholeness. A couple of folk have dropped hints this year that the actual 'menomoirs' seemed to have drawn to a halt. True. A couple of reasons for this; firstly, is anyone really that interested in a nobody's history?.. secondly, can I get over the sense of it being indulgent and, possibly, rather vain? It was found these queries answered themselves, as I do enjoy reading all my pals' moments of introspection and self-expression, and nobody is a nobody to everybody, everyone is a somebody to someone...

It was interesting going back to very early posts... there was a heavy dose of self-consciousness present, no doubt about it!

Then again, am quietly pleased that, however uneven, the blog has been consistent insofar as 'voice' and integrity. What you see is what you get, here at the YAMster's page and, because this one of the four blogs has no particular focus, you get a fair impression of how scattered she can be!!! It's fairly well-contained though. A controlled explosion, as it were. One of the things I love about writing of any kind is that once the pen hits the paper (print hits the screen), it's as much of a revelation to me as to you what appears...

...and very often one ends up at a destination one never knew existed. As it says up there on the left, "that's the adventure, is it not?"

A major part of 'keeping it together' for me in this year, which has not at all gone the way one might have hoped or designed, is the discipline of maintaining morning prayers (the meditation has gone a bit AWOL, but I know it will return) and the evening practice of lighting the lamp at the altar. Small but important things.

It struck me how stablising it is to have 'ritual' in the every day. What's that? You think you don't have ritual? What about the morning ablutions? That first cuppa of the day? Everyone has those... then there are the personal, individual things. For some, it is essential to get their fifteen minutes with the newspaper, or the walk with the dog; for others, it can be the regularity of meals, with set times... there are endless varieties to what each have as their regular habits, which frame the day and hold it in place. For some of us that is offering up a welcome to the day, a giving of thanks. In the Hindu tradition, there is a prayer/mantra for just about every act and moment in life.

The reason for this is to take the focus away from the small ego and place emphasis on the all-round, all-pervasive quality of Nature and Living. It places the individual in perspective against the wider existence. The essence is 'thought before action'. Take one of the morning shlokas, for example;
समुद्रवसने देवि पर्वतस्तनमण्डले | विष्णुपत्नि नमस्तुभ्यं पादस्पर्शं क्षमस्व मे || 
          samudra-vasane devi parvata-stana-mandale,
          vishnupatni namastubhyam paadasparsham kshamasva me.

          Oh Mother Earth (The Devi) who is having ocean as Her garments and mountains as                     Her bosom, 
         Who is the consort of Sri Vishnu, we bow to You; please forgive our touching you with                 our feet. 

This is chanted prior to rising from the bed and is intended to make us aware that every move we make upon the earth has an effect upon it. For those who are into the 'mindfulness' movement (Western, monetized, adaptation of Sanskrit, free for all, philosophy... but that's another soapbox...), this will make some sense. To have a chant to be uttered before embarking on a journey, or eating, or joining in a meeting... all help to focus the mind, make it alert to the impending action/event and maximising the capacity to perform and the benefit gained.

Each to their own. Will end it here. See? Who knew we'd share a prayer today?




9 comments:

  1. One of the things I love about your blog is I never know what I am going to find. It is alway interesting and usually makes me smile.
    I am like the queen of rituals, although my mediation habit has fallen off the past couple of weeks. I must work to get that back, but it may wait until September when my life may just settle down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Echoing the comment above, I love the range of your blog and always find it interesting. And I too have oh so many daily rituals.
    Cheers! Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that was great to read... and I like the idea to have a chant for everything we do... it makes everything more "real" somehow and to a special event...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aunty yam, I like you luffs hearing about other peeps history, I finks its a wonderful treat when peeps feel they want to share wiv me.
    Oh and I haf sent Mum off chanting to work today, I finks it'll be useful wiv the meetings she's got lined up!
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, I can those controlled explosions sometimes. I can be all over the place at times. I do have rituals every morning, coffee is one of the first things. Chanting seems to be a good way to start the day peacefully. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rituals are so important to me. You have such a deep practice. I respect that.
    You should be writing your stories down. It's good for you and for us. They illuminate all of us. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always find interesting and thoughtful thinking here and I appreciate the great variety of things you include.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crikey Aunty .... you're not a NOBODY!! You're Aunty and I know lots of people are interested in your history. How else would we get to know you and LOVE you!! Crikey ..... a NOBODY????? what the heck. Mum and I LOVE your posts. Every single one of them. Mum reckons you teach her things and she's nearly 187. You'd think she'd know everything by now, aye??
    Mum can relate to your statement about writing and how when the pen hits the paper you never know what will be revealed. When she starts to write she never knows where she's going to end up. Is barking like chanting????????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      When it is done for danger alert, it most definitely can be considered a chant Charlie mate!!! Yxx

      Delete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏