WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menoctoberish - a month of festivals

Day eight of Navratri is known as Ashtami. On this day, Goddess Durga is worshipped as Mahagauri. The attire that devotees will wear on this day will be of purple colour.


Gauri means 'white.' Austerities are referred to as 'tapas' in Indian tradition, which actually means 'heating' or even 'burning', so the result of Parvati’s tapas was that her skin blackened from the fire of her tapas – and as Kaalratri Maa, she defeated the enemies of the gods. This morning (in cosmic terms), Lord Shiva bathed Parvati with the waters of the Ganga, and lo and behold, the blackness washed away revealing the pristine goddess, whose face resembled the moon.
Dressed in white, sitting atop a white bull, holding authority in her right hand in the form of the trident, she holds Lord Shiva’s gift of the damaru, the two-headed drum, in her left. It is from this damaru that the Maheshwara Sutra is heard, and speech is gifted to humankind.
Meditation upon Mahagauri will bring the dedicated seeker to an appreciation of the myth of duality, the grand delusion of Maya. Mother Gauri enlightens the spiritual seeker and removes the fear of rebirth by granting salvation.

8 comments:

  1. Ohhh I would enjoy wearing purple. It is probably my 2nd favorite color.
    Hugs HiC

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just thoroughly enjoyed today's story. It makes for some fascinating reading. We would wear purple too - it is a color that suggests calming to us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...I don't know about the purple...but I could use 4 arms today!
    Love
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Marv... to have 4 arms is a super idea, I could do much more during a day ;LO)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such an interesting story! I always liked reading stories about Goddesses in Mythology. This surely brings back those lovely times. Of course, it is only now that I can understand the deeper meanings behind the stories :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. being who I am, my first thing I notices was the bull she is rding on, I love all furry animals with 4 legs. and I like purple also

    ReplyDelete
  7. another interesting post. The is there a background for multiple arms? janice namaste xx

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏