WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menomagemeday

Right, before I forget, let me remind you that this Friday, 25th, is FFF time!!!

I am going to find it a bit strange as am leaving Hindertwig behind after a year of exploring it! (It has not gone away... it's now loaded into my writing software with a view to expansion and deeper exploration...)

Go on, give it a go, even if you have never written a poem or a story in your life. Don't have books? Not sure how to search your e-reader for page 87? How about using Google Books or simple online search? Think of a book title and then add page 87 to the search enquiry. I just did it for Anne of Green Gables in Chrome and got this.

Remember, you are to pick a word or words from lines 8, 12 and 16 and incorporate them in some way into a piece of work, not more than 500 words.
My title today is about images. Photographic ones. You will all know by now that I am a keen photographer. I would go so far as to say it is my most favourite hobby next to writing. I am possibly better at it. Even with the worst of tools, I have managed to salvage some half-way decent images. Tomorrow's post will carry the last of a batch from the PandS which, in purely technical terms, are poor indeed - and yet they all carry a charm, a rustic quality which has appeal. The first one was taken the same day as the last shot from a couple of weeks back, which most of you voted your fave! This one is even better - yet technically, it fails in almost every regard.

The PandS, let me remind you, was bought in panic prior to visiting Bertie and his Gail last November. The wrist injury meant handling the Fudge was a bit beyond me and I also wanted to travel very light. It was from a used items shop and cost me the grand sum of twenty-five quid (AU$45/US$33). Frankly, buying a disposable camera and getting it developed might have worked - but given they only have 27 shots in them and I took well over 100 on that trip, the disposables+developing would have been waaaay more expensive (as in three to four times as much).

I am back to using the Fudge but thought I would take only the PandS with me for Hogmanay to the father's place. The reason you got only a photo from my sister's phone and not from my camera is that the darn thing wouldn't work. I tried changing batteries, but nada. The PandS served the purpose for which it was bought and that was that.

Quandary. I love Fudge. I really do. There is no denying, though, that the convenience of a compact camera is appealing. Then there was the booking of my next big trip to the Great Downunder Parts and I realised that having to not carry the Fudge with me would be a real boon. It is just so darn bulky and heavy. Fine for carrying around in the car - not so much on and off public transport. Soooo.... (you know where this is going, don't you!)...
Enter the Hisstix (names scrabble their way into my head and stick; I think this was a response to its model ID). This is a compact camera but with a LOT more power and twiddly bits than PandS. I can still do photographerly things with it much as I do with Fudge, which I couldn't with PandS - and it has the 25x zoom, which I really missed on PandS. Fudge has much greater range and better macro, but I am expecting to get some very positive results. Of course, it cost considerably more than twenty-five quid... 😞


It is only just out the box and getting familiarised. Expect to see an assessment of results in the near future!

A quick update on the wrist (thanks to those who have enquired behind the scenes); it is definitely getting better but there is still some way to go. All the typing - which is fully back to standard - seems not to bother it, but using the mouse does, so when doing lots of point and click research I need the support elastic. Still can't do some tasks as once did and certainly no heavy lifting yet (pans etc). This week, for the first time in several, there was some real pain again. I hadn't been wearing the splint for about a week, even in bed, and concluded that this may be the issue. Returned to sleeping with the splint on and things improved. Will have to continue with that for another month, I think, then try without again.

12 comments:

  1. Oooooh are you taking a trip Down Under this year!? How exciting!!
    I know you will take some splendid photos.
    Will you try it tonight on the Super Blood Wolf Moon.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS thank you for all the great research on the plates.
    very interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      I had a fun 90 minutes as always! (I get distracted following the possibilities!) It amazes me how many new plates you come up with!!! Yes, I tell more later, but had to grit my teeth and book that flight... this being year sixty, there are fiscal things which have to be addressed and am tying it in with a friend's son's wedding (Indian/Sri Lankan style!) and catching up with a few others. Having a pocketable camera will be a big bonus.

      As to the moon tonight... ssshhhhhh... would you believe there is no cloud at the moment?! Whether that lasts till 0230h tomorrow is another thing... Yxx

      Delete
    2. You talked about the moon and I completely forgot about it! Tsk tsk tsk.

      Delete
  3. Looking forward to seeing the results from the Hisstix. And, like Cecilia, curious to hear more about plans for the next trip Down Under.
    I'm glad to hear the wrist continues to improve (albeit more slowly than one might hope).
    Cheers,
    Gail (nursing a big bruise on my hip this evening after my bike gave way from under me this morning when I attempted to manoeuvre my way round a small dog on an icy stretch of the Deeside Way. I would have been better off sticking to the -
    gritted - road...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad your wrist is on the mend. Interested to what you think about the camera,let me know what you think of all things but Alonso the batter life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear your wrist is doing much better.
    We will be excited to see your view of Down Under.

    ♥ Astro and Mitzie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mom has a Canon, simple little guy, but she loves it. Just as she loves our Canon printer:) With a birthday coming up, she is going to check out your new HissTix.

    As for the wrist, when Mom broke her arm at the wrist, she said it was almost a year before she would say hers was doing a lot better. But it did take lots of PT and consistent exercises at home.

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  7. it seems the cam is a partner for all occasions ;O) we are ready with our story for FFF ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, cameras! I have a small handy one and a big bulky one and at one point have carried both of them around! For really nice photos (and a car), I will use the big bulky one, but then you still need to be two: because I have two lenses that need to be changed all the time. My sister is perfect for such things.

    I wish you well with the wrist. I have fortunately never broken anything (not for lack of trying) and can't imagine not being able to not type or something. The horror!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the same camera, but older and is sx600hs and only 18 zoom. it takes great photos. bought it 3 years ago
    https://snapperone.blogspot.com/2014/11/murphy-came-by-again.html
    I like it because it fits in a pocket to go anywhere. I have my first ever fff post on autopost for this Friday. you made me do it. I did not know about searching for pages on line until you advised me how. I did not use what I found but used one of 4 books that reside in my house

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's tricky, but great we have so many camera choices. Our kids take photos with their iPhones, that are amazing!!!
    I know it's slow, but glad you are healing. xx

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏