WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menoflippishly; sourcing prompts.

I remarked on Friday that there was a lack of inspiration. Nevertheless, a post was made and it contained at least something. It is an interesting process, this blogging lark.

One of the ways we can find inspiration is by picking up from other blogs. Not in the 'scrape and steal' sense, but in the "oh that's interesting, I have something to say about that" sense. If we do spike off from another, it is courteous to link back to the source blog. I am going to do that today.

Sandra the 'Mad Snapper', gives me the giggles most of the time and, every now and then, things to ponder more deeply. She wrote last week about knowing herself a little better. I responded with quite a lengthy comment. Almost another blog post! That was my clue, really. Besides, I also said in there that I would copy here the results provided by the Truity website free test. The reason I said that was because I have been through many of these things before. Mainly during my time in 'corporate'. The National Australia Bank, in particular, loved Myer-Briggs testing and every time any of us went for grade promotion, out would come the tick boxes.

...................sigh........................

In my time as a counsellor, I also had clients complete such tests. Not for diagnostic purposes (heaven forbid), but merely to help the clients gain a more objective view of themselves. The proviso was, however, that they not see such things as being like the ten commandments and carved forever into their psyche. Particularly as, when you've done these things as often as I have, you find that the results will swing according to where you are in yourself anyway. That is to say, if you are a teenager heading for university and/or potential employment, your outlook and life experience will yield a different result to that if taking the same test ten years on. Equally, if you take it in the morning or the afternoon. Or whether you had a raging fight with near and dear prior to taking the test, or had spent your time meditating.

Now, I am not dissing the tests entirely. They have been around far too long and have proven worthwhile in many scenarios. There are going to be certain basic personality traits we have which will remain with us throughout life and it is these which the tests are seeking to establish. At all times it is to be remembered, however, that they are a guide only. They were devised to help self-development (and, more specifically, career management).

We alone are responsible for who we are. Yes, circumstances of birth and situations of life will make their mark upon us, but as human beings, we have been given a power of choice far beyond that of any other animal inhabiting this planet. No matter what sort of bog we find ourselves sunk in, we can turn our minds to find a way out... or surrender that power and let the bog take us.

What these psych-tests might do is help us be more clear about how and why we make the decisions we do and - if we choose - take the steps required to change that pattern. That is our privilege as Homo Sapiens.

Now, without further ado, I display myself to you. Well, the bit that Truity provided.







11 comments:

  1. Yes indeedy YaYa, Mad Snapper/Sandra is a born storyteller and her puns blow my mind.
    Many times other blog post do bring up a deeply buried memory from my Senior hard drive.
    I especially liked this line out of your profile
    "you profoundly value authentic connections with people you trust" and the entire last paragraph
    Hugs HiC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      Thanks Miss C! I quite liked the bullet point indications - the only one I had a struggle accepting was 'idealism'... whilst I do live life with a set of ideals, I do so with a healthy dose of pragmatism; to the point where it can seem blunt at times. Something I have to watch for! Yxx

      Delete
  2. It amazing where we blogger find our subject to blog about. Mine today just pop out of blue.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was a time in my career when we were all being sent on courses and being subjected to these personality tests, but I for one are thankful that this has not happened for a long time!
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we love such kinds of tests... specially because the mama is always upset and says: aaah not true! it seems she knows not much about herself lOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, these test are certainly NOT written in stone and had not thought about the mindset we are in when we take them. I am sure I would be shocked if my teen self had taken the test... I found the test while trying to figure out why I am so different from other women. But I did take these type tests at work and hated every single one of them. I did not always answer the truth because I was hiding what I am....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      Yes - and the simple fact is that majority people do obscure the data - sometimes deliberately, but very often because they just cannot be totally self-honest - they don't even necessarily register that they are avoiding correct responses... Yxx

      Delete
  6. I clicked the link you provided and realised I have never taken one of those tests before. It showed I was quite extrovert. Not sure where that came from (haha)...

    I have taken a few intelligence tests in my day, but I never saw any results of them. I am not stupid though and a fair bit is logical thinking which I can do. Whether they show if I am intelligent enough is of course another matter...

    Klem, Mara

    ReplyDelete
  7. introvert I am, logic I prefer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I started ... but gave up ... and sadly hope I'm wiser than when they were around in the Corporate world ... I am just me - that keeps me occupied! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad to be retired! No more PD days, principals forcing us to do stupid things. JB feels the same!
    We'd have so many workshops that required us to do what we expected the kids to do. It was tiresome. Interesting post!

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏