WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

MenoSundays; Life Lived Lovingly

Here in the Great Down Under Parts, everyone is celebrating Mother's Day. Not
entirely sure why it is different from the UK - but then, so is Father's Day. Doesn't really matter, the date. Only important that proper homage is given to one's parents and/or other close elders.

That said, it is also important to be kind and loving to the elders each and every day.

My own mother has been gone nearly eight years now, but she is never far from memory. Particularly on this trip, as have spent so much time with the family members I knew little of but were, essentially, her cousins.

Family trees have been a frequent matter of discussion. Connections, dis-connections, re-connections, mis-connections... all quite fascinating, confusing and, if am brutally honest (and I often am!) really not my cuppa char. It is not at all that I don't like history. It is not at all that I don't like research and making the genetic jigsaw fit together. It is not that I lack interest in roots. I simply prefer to deal with the people before me and take them as they are, whoever they are.

Family, for me at least, is what I make, not necessarily what I was born into.

Belonging has a large part to do with this. I have come to recognise that there are people and places to which I feel I belong and they are not necessarily as obvious as place of birth or the bloodlines of birth.

I joined cuzzy D on a lengthy day outing during last week, up to the place of rest for her mother, dear old Norma (who was married to my own mother's cousin James). It was quite an effort as D has even less mobility than myself. That she agreed to take public transport was a big thing. We both were flummoxed when we could not actually locate the laying place - but also decided that walking the grounds of the fabulous Northern Suburbs Memorial Park was honouring enough. We had a cup of tea at the cafe, raising our cups to Norma, then decided homage had duly been paid. The six hour round-trip was worth doing because we had a chance to reminisce and share common memories, then I also learned of things I did not previously know.

Through Norma I had met cuzzy D who, until this trip, was a virtual stranger to me. After two weeks I would say that we have formed a bond of friendship and a sense of family not directly a result of blood ties.

For this I am thankful, and offer up my Love to the mothers who connected us.


12 comments:

  1. YaYa what an absolutely beautiful post. I truly believe this, "Family, for me at least, is what I make, not necessarily what I was born into."
    Thank you for the capital L
    Hugs HiC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you and with Ceil, family can and is not always blood family. I do have about 30 or so cousins that I see every few years. at one time we were very close but not now and none of know why.. I like the words laying place. have never heard it called that but it fits perfectly

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is Mother's Day here, come tomorrow, Yam, and you have written the perfect note.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have said it so very well. Family is who we choose. That being said, I would have chosen my mother a million times over. She was such a warm, strong, tender, and most of all, deeply loving mother. I still feel a twinge every Mother's Day that I lost her so young. It's never been an easy day for me although I try to focus on how lucky I was to have known her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our Mom misses her Mom a lot too. It has been 26 years since she died. She lived with Mom and Dad for 18 years. Lots of great family memories for all.

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Yam - my mother will have gone 7 years in July ... like you I miss her loads. Family is family real, close or just wonderful friends. I'm so glad you're having such a wonderful time - love the photos. Mother's Day is a secular holiday created in the early 20th by the Americans ... while the English Mothering Sunday relates to the liturgical church year ... I mentioned it in my #WAWTB Book Aid post at the end of March. Just carry on enjoying it all - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari om
      Thanks Hilary...realised that I have actually posted on exactly that and have always known lt. This is the way 'menopolyxinaemia' gets me!!! Yxx

      Delete
  7. Love the stone path photo and sweet photo of cuzzy D and the little stuffed critter ^_^

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can totally relate to your ambivalence about connectedness through family etc. etc.
    Today I have been reconnecting with a different set of memories, walking round old haunts in Bristol. I spent three years here as a student but have not been back for well over 30 years. To be honest, feeling a bit overwhelmed by the way that revisiting the place has brought to tbe fore long dormant memories and feelings.
    On the bike across the Severn to Wales tomorrow!
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We never have our mother's long enough. Mine has been going 2.5 years and not a day goes by that I don't think of her. Beautiful post♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely time with a new found friend. namaste, janice xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fun you are having.
    I hear you about the family trees. I did one, but I'm not speaking to any of my cousins, so what is the point? Plus, I am adopted!

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏