WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menoloopal; crying shame...

...or ought that to read, 'cry in shame'? Really. Having touched upon the nature of 'goodness' within us, surely part of that needs to be an environmental awareness. The kind which makes us take full responsibility for our part in ensuring we walk lightly upon the earth. Before I go further, I would like you to CLICK HERE and watch the very short video you will find there. Please do this - I'll wait here.



Disturbing? Feel free to share that link yourselves - the more folk who are faced with the fact, the more (one can hope) they will think about making a change themselves. It is accepted that making any change, even within our own homes, is a challenge. Is it any surprise, then, that the challenge on the large scale can seem to be almost insurmountable?

Yet all that is required is that every human being makes one solid change - no plastic water bottles; no plastic bags; no plastic food wrappers - just one. Sticking to that one will already make an exponential change to the world as a whole. Then, having made that one change and made a habit of it, let each make one more change... then another. Step by step, item by item, WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

If all individuals take responsibility for themselves and their 'plastic action', it turns out that the family, the community, the society, the nation and ultimately the planet benefits.

It is so very easy to point outwards and say, '...these people...' Until one is oneself completely changed, 100% plastic-free, there ought to be no pointing. Lead by example!!! I know that most of my readers are already on this path and this is a bit of a 'preach to the converted' - but we can always do more, and part of that doing more is to take up the bone and run with it like the dog who hasn't eaten for a month.

On a related note but a little bit more upbeat to finish the post today; last week, I was purchasing tomatoes and potatoes which were loose on the grocery shelf at the supermarket. I was determined not to use their plastic bags, so just placed them on the checkout counter as they were. The lady on the seat desperately wanted me to corral them in a plastic bag and offered me twice - it would have made it easier for her, but she did finally understand that I just did not want the plastic. As I was packing the last of my items into my trolley, having completed the payment, the lady behind me started to UNPACK her tomatoes and broccoli and handed the plastic bags back to the checkout chick. "You've inspired me!" she said to me with a big smile.

Wahooooo...


12 comments:

  1. I am so sorry about that beautiful Whale. I can only imagine the discomfort it was in before it died.
    Today is grocery day...we always take 5 canvas bags with us which is usually enough
    Hugs HiC

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad, and it happens every day all over the world to so many creatures. We thank you, and that lady behind you in line, for all that you do. The peeps here do all they can to avoid those plastic bags too.

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to ask 3 times for no straw when travelling in the states and still ended up with one. There are some really easy things we can all do to help. If we all took baby steps we could get there together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The death of our fellow creatures is too hard to contemplate. Yes, I refuse plastic. In the drug store I said to the clerk, "I brought my bag," pushing it over. She put my purchase in plastic. I restated, "I brought my bag." She put the purchase in my bag, and threw her bag in the trash. I said "Shame on you, use that bag for the next customer!" She got it out of the trash, and I proceeded to pay for my purchase, to the relief of the gathering line, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to shop at one supermarket where they used paper bags for fresh produce. I felt more at ease with that as it may still be fouling the place up, but not as much as plastic! Alas, I moved away and haven't seen another supermarket do that :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      Yes, the paper bags seem to have gone to the dinosaurs - probably because it costs the retailer more... public pressure is again the factor, and in the UK, the having to pay for plastic carriers has made some difference... Yxx

      Delete
  6. take that and that and I took my slap across the face. I am guilty as charged. ranting on about plastic and death of our wildlife and about how bad it is and still using it... thanks Yamini

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      Thank YOU, Sandra - for taking it 'standing up'! I keep taking these long hard looks at myself and I fell my head droop like your darling dog's... I am using my wrappers and loving the look, the feel, the smell (I don't think I mentioned how deliciously they smell - faintly - of honey), and then I pull a packet of sultanas out the cupboard for my porridge; a PASTIC packet. There are ways to purchase dried fruits without the plastic - but the convenience... the convenience...

      Yes. We must keep a tight self-watch. Yxx

      Delete
  7. That's is so rewarding! I won't do instagram, as they steal ID info, but great work, Yam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. JB went to our local butcher, who wrapped our meat in butcher paper.

      Delete
  8. I am so behind...watched the video. Poor whale. I am guilty of using plastic....I do think about it, and do reuse it. The bags I mean. I have a lot of change that I need to work on. Even a little bit would help. I am always talking about the amount of garbage we/everyone seems to have. When I was a kid we did not produce as much in 6 months as we do in a week or two now.

    And I always think about how when we can our own food, there is so little that goes in the garbage...just one little flat dome lid. about 3-4 inches across and not even an eighth of an inch thick.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish the plastic bags would just go away from the stores. But I do get them at times when I order online for pickup. No choice there.

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏