WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menootandaboot; Bus-y Bus-y Part Three

Good Morning Peeps!
Picking up on the wee trip northward by bus to Inverness. The first night in the B&B was dandy. (The second night not so much, as other guests had changed and were considerably noisier and apparently unaware of there being other rooms in the place.)

Anyhoo. Breakfast was a full continental offering with truly delicious fruits, yoghurt, croissants, et cetera. Then Sandy prepared hot dishes according to requirement. I had a poached egg on toast both days - perfect! On my first morning, I was joined by another solo-traveller, a lady from Down Under, and we had a good old natter with our copious tea and blueberries. This was extended by Sandy joining in. We didn't leave the brekky room until 0930h! (sitting at 8 am.)

The excellence of the breakfast removed the focus from the choice of decor...






The order of my day was to see as much as I could while making my way to the Inverness Archive Centre.

Wandering down Raining's Stairs in the cool but very bright morning, I first turned past the Baile and down towards Ness Bridge. Crossing over the river, I was reminded that it is one of the major waterways of Scotland, indeed, of the UK. It runs deep and strong and dark. As I crossed, the cool breeze was already giving way to what was rapidly becoming a surprising warmth.



That's a fully embedded map for you to have a play with! I was walking down that left path first. Ignore those timings - at least as far as the YAMster is concerned. It took me half an hour to get to where it says 28 minutes! I can actually walk faster than that, but I wanted to absorb as much as possible. The sun was out, for heaven's sake!!!


Thus, it was, I came to the cathedral (zoom in on the map - it's under that 28 minutes.) As mentioned previously, I intended to spend some time admiring this building. That time turned out to be an hour and a half. A whole hour just enjoying the ambience and taking time to light a candle and offer prayer. Rather than words, I now regale you with imagery.


























































No words required, really. It was a delight. After my hot chocolate in the refectory, I then took an ice cream out and sat by the river in the baking sun and called my father to boast about it!

The reason for going to the archives was that he wanted me to try and add to his family research. However, it soon became apparent that there was nothing to actually be achieved beyond what I could do with Scotland's People anyway; although my fifteen minutes there with the lovely young lady at the desk did give me a couple of pointers I had not thought of for searching. Not a wasted visit by any means. What is more, the walk to get there was incredibly picturesque.

It paled somewhat when I embarked on the return walk, though. This took me across a wee iron bridge and onto the Ness Islands. OH. MY. WORD.

Narnia is real! Twisting paths, hand-carved seats everywhere, ancient trees, dogs off-leash, people smiling as the tranquil beauty and sound of the Ness's hurry all created a perfect balance of peace.

















War Memorial
As we came closer to the city centre again, we sat and enjoyed the water, the sun, 
the passers-by, and, in Sadhu Mouse's case, the comparison of the 
yellow leaves with his own fine colouring.

...and that was another day over. More to come!


15 comments:

  1. Aunty I would have been with you staying longer in that beautiful breakfast room. Just lovely the table linens so crisp and superb company. The Scottish weather was quite agreeable too. Lots of pretty blooms and colors. You know I loved the Stain glass windows. Your time spent strolling and absorbing all the beauty was perfect too.
    Hugs HiC

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a perfect day for exploring the area. How lucky that the weather cooperated with you too. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have enjoyed your wanderings here almost as much as you did. I can feel the baking son while you ate ice cream and talked with your dad. Narnia is AMAZING. wow.. I do love the painted aqua fence. the inside of the church is so peaceful, just looking at the photos. I love the altar where the candles are burning. what a wonderful time you had. of course the fly in the oinment was the people who did not care about others. that happened to us a few years ago, back when we used to take vacations to the beach in Daytona, they were so LOUD and they got in the pool at night, the pool was under our window, and the drunken noise made me crazy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous photography and what a delightful breakfast you had and socializing as well ~ ^_^

    Happy Day to You,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow your seeing a lot.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  6. This has been a lovely walk about. And I did like the dining decor. Rather like my great grandmother's kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! Just as scenic. Loved the stained glass pics most of all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The photos are just gorgeous! I love eating out for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you considered a job with the Inverness tourist office!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      LOL - I should hashtag them, eh?! Actually, I am doing that very thing on the insty with photos of Dunoon, when I show some of the Ness trip on that platform, they will indeed be getting tagged. Yxx

      Delete
  10. That cathedral is truly gorgeous, and you have a serious talent for framing photos well!!!!! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful day! What amazing sights! I love it all! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the twisting paths! So much beauty, too.

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏