WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menootandaboot; Bus-y Bus-y Part Two

Having found my way quickly to my accommodation, and testing out the legs on the Market Brae Steps (that photo on Monday only showed half of them!), I was shown to my room by Sandy. Bijou is the word which jumped to mind. But it wasn't that smart. It was, however, perfectly comfy and had all that was required.


















After dumping the bags and enjoying a cup of tea and a complimentary snack, I grabbed the small bag and camera and headed out to check the immediate neighbourhood. It was already after 4 pm, and it wasn't particularly warm or bright, but I really wanted to at least see the castle and get my bearings.

It turned out that Kinloch Lodge was ideal for all things of interest. All the shopping and tourist stuff and banks and such were at the foot of the market steps. However, as I left, I opted to go down the hill via another set of steps with historical interest. What I ought to let you know now is that the Market Brae steps live up to their name. The car park, which is at the top (and opposite the B&B), is where the cattle and sheep market used to stand. The stock would be driven by their farmers along the main street (and over Ness Bridge), then up the 'brae' (steep hill) to the market.

Raining's Stairs, though, get their name from John Raining, who founded a school, housed initially at the top of the hill. There is a history of habitation and industry here, stretching all the way back to the medieval period. In recent times, the hillside had fallen somewhat derelict. As of October 2018, that changed. I can vouch for the attractiveness of the refurbished steps. There are low-cost housing and commercial units which have been placed upon the site. You can read more about that HERE. To give you an idea of how things were, I've sourced the following pictures from Ambaile; then show you my two.

circa 1990
circa 1960















2019 - looking down from half-way
2019 - looking up from half-way


























You may be thinking, "Why is YAM concentrating on steps so much?" The response, dear readers, is that history plays out in such places! You know by now how much history interests me - and I know many of you are interested, too.


























In case you aren't saturated with information already, here is an old map from the days when the market was still running. You can clearly see it marked, where the carpark is now. The red mark was on the original and marks Raining's stairs. The yellow circle is where the B&B I used now stands (I think the word there says 'privy'...) and the green line is where Market Brae steps lie in comparison.


You can also see from this how close I was staying to the castle and all the things that mattered, really!

Moving on. I turned left at the bottom and was faced with the castle. This is a mound which has been used since the twelfth century. Much of the original building has been lost over the years due to battles and fires and so on. When Queen Mary was about to visit, the laird refused her entry. His head was mounted on the gate posts for his arrogance. At the time of the 1745 uprising, before the battle of Culludon, some 3000 Jacobites invaded the castle stores and took food and arms to sustain them.

The castle still plays a very active role in the community life of Inverness. It is the home of the Sherrif and the Court House. Very fitting!


As a result of its purpose, one cannot enter as a casual visitor. However, it is possible to walk around the grounds, and there is a tower (peeking up to the right of this image) which can be climbed. Too many more stairs for me!!! From the hill, though, there are some good views. Notably, the cathedral. I resolved to visit it the next day.

Up near the door of the castle, I met this fellow...

Quite handsome, I think you will agree! To read more about the Highland Hospice Go Nuts trail and see all 23 of these characters,
CLICK HERE!

Heading back down this second hill, I passed by the Baile (Town House - like a town hall). It is in the process of total renovation and is looking very smart indeed! (Unfortunately, time did not permit an internal tour - another visit to make!) From here I returned to the B&B via Market Brae steps, ate my picnic tea and had a fabulous shower. Back on Monday with more from my northern visit!

























----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you all know that you can use a magnifier on your screen?


So any of the info boards that I photograph and place here can be quite easily read. Jus' sayin'...
(It's in Windows help and support; just search for Magnifier and it will give you a page from which you can open it.)


13 comments:

  1. Oh my word YAM that looks like the Scottish version of the famous steps in San Francisco...except in S.F. they are very curvy where yours are for sure raining down. I like the old steps and the new. The new appear to be of more artistic interest. Heading over to the link to the most handsome fellow you met and the Go Nuts Trail.
    Hugs HiC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very lovely photography post ~ all are very fascinating ~ your travelogue ~ ^_^

    Happy Day to You,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems there is enough history alone to keep you there forever. The cultural capital of the Scottish Highlands.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh we love the photos... it is great to see photos from the past and photos from now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Yam - looks to be an interesting visit to say the least. Love the photos - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love your tour! Amazing history. xx
    We're off to the city for our quarterly injection... sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a lot of steps! Your pictures are always so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks to be another lovely area. I fear those steps would surely do me in these days. namaste, janice xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is so much history in your country. Thanks for taking us along and educating us on this historic area.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is an excellent town hall! I wonder if the word is not "privy" but not "Priory"? It may not be. I was wishing I could magnify the picture and then I came as if by magic to your hint about the magnifier. Unfortunately I couldn't make it work, which is often the way with me and even the simplest technology! Thanks for an interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow...so much history to experience! Thanks so much for showing us around a bit...looking forward to more on Monday!

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏