WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menollowerdaplace; When Life Twists And Turns

There's is no getting around the fact that the father's health is looming large in my time management now. You don't need all the details - suffice to say that Mac1 and I have had to formalise things somewhat, with father's go ahead. He recognised his deterioration and need for full attendance, which is positive. He's not the sort of fellow who engages easily in any kind of conversation beyond technical or political stuff!

I shall now be sharing a two-weeks-on-two-weeks-off roster with Mac1, with me being flexible to extend where required. Macs 2 and 3 will be taking up the occasional weekend here and there as 'respite' for us and to keep them in the loop.

Many of you have been in similar situations and I know you understand there are challenges - but also joys - in caring for an ageing and ailing parent. It is what it is and we will all adjust in our own way. I am perfectly content with the need for this to happen, but do have the one little heart-pull that my 'serious' writing has taken a hit. Have done nothing of any value for a month now and I will need to find a way to set a rhythm and get back to it. Mainly because it is my therapy, my balancer, my heart-salve.

I do also miss The Hutch. I was due to return there for a week last Wednesday. Things happened to change that. As a compensation, Mac1 called a 'family day trip' and drove father and myself over West... and blow me down it was an absolutely SPARKLING day. A rare one of blue skies, clear air and dry - though very cold.

That view along the Clyde from Dumbarton rock (on right) to Helensburgh (behind that tree), the Arrochar Alps behind and that peninsula at left in distance is over towards my bit.

Getting father to go out his front door has been a big challenge the past few months. Toileting matters. Found a solution for him and so he was quite comfy to make this full-day outing.


At home, I had to collect the few things for family Christmas to put under dad's tree.** I also had to put up my own decorations, which Mac1 happily helped with... and father put his two cents worth in by advising that my "two calling birds" needed to not be on the tree, but on the dried hydrangeas beside it. Great idea!



























Mara's nativity set is now in place... note the angel up on high!!! I shall need to make some kind of diorama for next year, but I am loving these!

We had a fish N chip lunch (one of my very occasional breaking of sattvika), which held us in stead for the trip back, which took a whole hour more due to hitting rush hour in Glasgow AND Edinburgh. It was a special day and to be treasured in memory.

The next morning, emboldened by his new 'freedom', father wanted to attend his Men's Club for the first time this year. I was happy to help with the wheelchair and was invited to stay as it was their annual 'ceilidh'. Tremendous morning and so special to see how his old pals all sought him out to shake hands and share hugs and stories. The music was delightful.



These are the rewards of the not easy task of age and care.



** Thank goodness I had the energy and forethought to get pretty much all my festive mail sorted and posted as I left The Hutch two weeks back. Some of you have already confirmed receipt which is fab. Not all that many really, on the snail trail. Most of you for whom I have email addresses are going to receive the now acceptable e-card greetings from me in the next week or so. Crikey - stop the train someone!!!


16 comments:

  1. Most impressed by your level of preparedness for Christmas, despite all the caring challenges. Puts me to shame...
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I 2nd and 3rd Gail's comment. YAM, I know how organized you are and what a good planner. Both of these traits will
    be lifesavers!!. Father looks most handsome. The photo of your road trip was breathtaking. So happy the normal Scottish weather took a break. Mara's hand made nativity looks so nice.
    Hugs to you and Father
    HiC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like to hear more about the men club

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aging can be difficult to say the least ~ Glad your Dad has you and that you had a good time and good for him going to the Men's Club ~
    Lots of love to all ~

    Happy Moments to You,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my heart goes out to you...a big old hug from me to you. So glad you got to get your dad out and that he got to go to his Men's Club. Maybe there will be other days now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We received your beautiful card when we returned from my sojourn south to be with my father...thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A good day out. I know both you and Mac have routines in hand. My best with mom, and earlier with her mother, was simply to ask something as simple as "What did you do when...", and just listen.They poor dears, did most of the talking. On the other hand, it was the easy companionship that counted more than all the stories I heard. Good ceilidh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes we do understand as we deal with first our grandma (dad's mom) and now helping with his dad. We got our card !! our first one of the season!
    hugs
    Mabel & Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  9. hugs to you... we felt the joy with you while reading about going together to his men club...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Yam - well done is all I can say ... your father will feel more at peace - as he knows the family will be there to take care of him ... I found that with my mother - she trusted me to be there for her, and thus my brothers when they could visit, and that was so rewarding for us both: she was secure - albeit in a Nursing Centre with someone always around to check in for her. We were extraordinarily lucky with the care she was given ...

    Wonderful day out and being able to get your father to his men's club was obviously a joy for him and his friends ...

    You'll adjust - it takes time ... but it'll happen - and the main thing is your father is happy and secure - take care - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was wondering about the card, but now understand fully. I am living with the parentals right now and can see not the deterioration (yet), but definitely the slowing down.
    Glad to hear your father has been able to get out a couple of times. Perhaps his time at the club will make him realise it is doable and good for him. Just make sure you look after you as well. Making sure he is okay, means you are also very much okay!

    Big klem,
    Mara

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bless you, YAM. Being a caregiver is not an easy job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I fully understand the taking care of ailing parents, I did that also. and the going out thing, we dealt with that also. glad you found a workaround and that you could go on your little trip. the tree is lovely and you really got a lot done plus fun things also...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, Yam. I hear you. Amazing that you have Macs 1, et al. I found it so lonely. This is a poignant post. You just remember to look after you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. It sounds like you and your family will be busy for a while. How nice that you can share the duties. We received your card a while back and ours is on its way to you.

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏