WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menooooooooeeeekkk!!! (Something Akin To The Discworld Librarian)

You know: the Terry Pratchett series of books which transform real-world politics and social commentary into a fangtambyoulush melee of mayhem and magic.
The Librarian is a member of a small, elite group of senior librarians, who have the knowledge and ability to travel through L-space. The very strict rules that members of this group are pledged to enforce are:
  1. Silence.
  2. Books must be returned no later than the date shown.
  3. Do not meddle with the nature of causality

Why do I compare myself thusly? Well, it's my preferred option over being held up to others by father as being like a) Herta Bothe, concentration camp guard, or, b) Hattie Jacques' matron from the Carry On films. 

So, I like peace and quiet, clean and tidy surroundings, clean and tidy bodies, and talking the plain facts of things. Maintaining any of these requires a level of discipline. This may seem regimented when one has simply let everything go to hang. At least the move from Bothe to Jacques is a progression of some worth. Could it be he is beginning to see the humour and benefit of routine and rhythm in life? I shall be mentioning the Librarian and the 'rules' and see what kind of conversation that might spark. 

It's just lucky for him that I have the strong and sturdy constitution of an orangutan and the thick skin to let the barbs fall away! The ability to laugh at oneself, and to giggle at other's attempts to dislodge the good humour is an essential tool in the box for any carer!!!

We're rubbing along just fine. I'm physically shattered but will be returning to The Hutch next Monday for 10 days of recovery time.  

Meanwhile, I do have to make a dash across and back today. The small matter of voting. I have never missed using the privilege afforded me to have my say since I turned 18. Despite having to leave one coast to travel to the other side of the land to mark a paper, I do not intend to break my record! It comes under point number three of the L-space rules!!!


8 comments:

  1. As discussed, there are positives to being compared to Hattie Jacques!
    Bertie will be accompanying me to the polling booth at Ferryhill Parish Church tomorrow morning. Just a small extension to our usual walk round the park.
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YaYa I know of what you speak.... being a caregiver and living away from your home and your desired conditions is very very difficult.. Remember the caregiver needs care too. At least my parents only lived 15 min. from my home so I was able to stay at my home.
    Blessings and hugs...
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are describing ME with this post, all the things you like and do are the same for me. I only have to go a short distance to vote but other than that the same. glad you get a few days off. I did not have to care for my dad, we had a couple that lived with him and cared for him, until the last 9 months, when he got to where he could not get up or down or out or into bed. he lived in assisted living then, but only 5 minutes from where I live... blessings on you for all you do..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with all this. I know how tough it is.
    My mother was meticulous, until she wasn't when she was dying. It was so shocking. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. May humour help you through the challenges you will face.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caring for a parent can be quite the challenge. Our Mom knows - she did it for 18 years +, but it does come with its rewards - all felt deep within the heart of soul.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hugs and POTP to you... and a good relax time when you are back...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Yam - well done ... you'll settle a bit more as time goes on, and you know you have that ten days recovery ahead. You're doing the right thing and it will have positives ... all the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏