WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menocreatikul; Update

I had mentioned another crochet project with some lovely yellow ("Mustard Fleck") yarn. I have to report that I have frogged that particular attempt. After a certain point, the pattern kept going squiffy. I realised that I could not entirely keep track of my stitches and thus was gaining and losing in all the wrong places. This is not a fault of the pattern, for the counting is easy.

No. I was using a yarn bought in haste and with no pattern in mind and then trying to fit a pattern to it. I had to recognise that the yarn was far too soft and slightly fluffy and in the chevron patterning it was far too easy to see stitches where none were or to lose them altogether! It was becoming too hard and extremely frustrating.

I shall return to that pattern but with a yarn of firmer quality.

Meanwhile, I kept the 61 stitch foundation row of treble crochet (double if you are in the USA) and decided just to freestyle it.

I came up with a very simple but effective - and still somewhat lacy - pattern. Are you ready? Feel free to use this.

YAMSTER'S WEBBING

For foundation I learned a new trick - you can do the usual simple chain then work your first row into those fiddly things.... or you can just create the first row right there whilst 'casting on'. HERE'S HOW! That was for double crochet (sc in US terms), but I worked it with treble(dc) very successfully. Form your first row to whatever width you desire, but use an odd number of stitches. So;

1st row; a solid row of treble crochet (dc USA) - my own choice was 61 stitches.

2nd row; turn with four chain - forms the first stitch of the row. *dtr (tr USA) into second stitch from base of that chain; 1 ch, skip a stitch, dtr (tr) into next st* and repeat to end of row, where the last dtr(tr) will form the edge.

3rd row; turn with two chain. dc(scUSA) into each stitch to end of row. At the turning chain of lower row, dc(sc) into 'space' and then another dc(sc)into the third chain. (Same applies at end of the tr(dc) rows.)

4th row; repeat 2nd row. Turn with three chain and repeat from first row.

Here's how it looks!


Regrettably, I lost the label - I know it was a Women's Institute Mustard Tweed Aran weight 400gm.

I am using a 5mm hook (H)... actually, here is a useful chart for international crocheters!!!

I am uncertain how long this scarf is going to be as I only have the one ball (skein) of yarn. If it is not as long as I'd like, I may add contrast black to match the black flecking - or turn it into an infinity cowl...

Fun, eh? I'll let you know very soon...

15 comments:

  1. Oh YAM I hear you I have a time keeping up with stitches too. It is a lovely pattern and I do think a contrasting color would be 100% ok. I've done that before too
    Hugs HiC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pattern. Mom is thinking she might be able to crochet now, but she is on the hunt for something she really wants to do. She loves some of the complex afghans she sees on Ravelry, but she is afraid she will lose interest after a while. She needs to keep hunting:)

    Woos, Lightning and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks pretty good to me.
    Merle.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could see that stitch as a shawl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am amazed by your skills, you make knits.

    The result is neat and the shape is good.

    I actually had the desire to learn to knit, but no one taught me the techniques of making it.

    Have a nice days

    ReplyDelete
  6. it looks great and we love the color.... and to watch it has something relaxing :O)

    ReplyDelete
  7. so far so good
    its coming along beautifully
    looks great
    can you tell i am using everyones comments? I do like it and have no clue how to crochet and evidently no clue how to comment...

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've got a very neat hand, 'haath mein safai hai' as my mother would say.
    An infinite cowl makes me think of Dr. Who and wise monks all at once. Methinks, it will suit you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes yarn just doesn't work for a pattern but you turned that yarn into a beautiful pattern. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great! Can't wait to see how you finish it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That pattern reminds me of one my Mom used when she was making afghans, scarves and vests back in the 1970's. Lovely work. namaste, janice xx

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏