WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menocreatikul; Yarn About Yarn

I find myself on Sunday arvo looking at my scheduled posts and discovering I have somehow missed out Monday 22nd... What to do?

There are some random shots in my folder of various yarns. Had to rack the old greys to recall what they were about. Ah yes; just a handful of weeks back I was at last back in The Hutch (after four months absence - *#$)#)@&$ COVID). I didn't do much with the first three (and a bit) weeks, as the respite (ie rest and recovery) aspect was sorely required. Which is fine. I binge-watched some catchup telly and read and slept. Yes. A lot of that stuff. 

I did come good about ten days before having to face returning to Edinburgh and being 'on duty' again with father's cares. A bit of me was actually looking forward to it. The other bit was a tad panicky as hadn't done anything worthwhile. I do rather need to feel I have achieved something each day, even if it is simply learning and researching a new word. 

Anyhoo. I went into the hall cupboard, claimed the ladder and took down two large crates. I knew they contained wool; some of it my late mother's home-spun and some of it on cones from factory runs.

I got a little bit inspired. There will be finished product piccies sometime soon...

This gorgeous merino and silk mix won second prize at a show - 
will need to think carefully about what to use it for


This is rougher handspun merino in natural colour... I made slipper for father...


A dilly-bag made from bits of the cone yarn...
of which there is quite a bit!


16 comments:

  1. I love that natural coloured merino yarn and can't wait to see the slipper.
    Cheers, Gail.
    PS My big achievement for today was completing yesterday's Guardian cryptic crossword. A rare event!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word YAM your mom spun yarn, it is gorgeous.I look forward to all your upcoming projects.
    Once many years ago right after I started blogging I met Beth mom to Remington the Newfoundland pup.
    He and Madi got into lots of mischief early on. Beth suggested I start saving Madi's fur, she told me she'd spin it into yarn for me. Finally I had enough to send (took 9 months) MOL. To give it strength she added some of Remington's long black furs. I had about 75 yards I think. I don't know if you saw that post. I'll send you the link once I verify you haven't seen.
    Hugs HiC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom feels the same way about needing to have accomplished something each day - we think she does a lot each day, but she is always looking for that certain something.

    Looks like some great projects ahead.

    Woos, Lightning and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  4. That merino/silk is gorgeous. We can understand why you are looking for the special project. My late father did so e spinnong but never achieved that level of artisanship. Still its nice to have a jumper of wool vrom our sheep, spun by him for me to knit. Can't wait to see z few more of your projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      OH - so you have the farming background from NZ? My mother's family were hill farmers - mainly shepherding - and she could not only shear the sheep, but take the fleece all the way to finished garment. In OZ, she found a love for the Merino... Yxx

      Delete
    2. F must have been 3 sheets to the wind when she typed that - what a lot of mistakes. (Actually it was tablet on her lap in dim light with my head on the edge of it just before we went to sleep.) Yes, F grew up with thousands of sheep. Your Mum probably not just a good range of acquired skills, but the ability to innovate and acquire any other practical skill she needed along the way - nature of the environment.

      Delete
  5. Those yarns look wonderful. We can't wait to see what you make from them. That little bag will certainly come in handy too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      The dilly-bag was made specifically for my external drive... and I just completed a larger and more decorative one to gift a book to a neighbour... and totally forgot to photograph it!!! Will just have to work another &*> Yxx

      Delete
  6. My problem is always what to make when I find some awesome yarn! I'm sure you'll come up with something gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Ma just started crocheting, and she is finding it fun and challenging to find the right (and the right amount ☺) yarn for each afghan project. That is such lovely yarn!!! I agree, you should wait til you find the right project...you'll knows it when you see it!
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. we love the wool you used for slippers... it has something what feels like home somehow... so slippers were a super idea , they belong to home too ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know nothing about yarn but that Marino and silk is absolutely beautiful and I can see it as a scarf or one of those towel things that you put around your neck that I can't remember the name of. You are like I am you can always entertain yourself. I don't ever get to binge-watch because Bob always has the big TV but I would if I could

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow! The merino looks absolutely luscious! Catchup telly is important work, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What beautiful yarns! I wish I got inspired looking at mine like you do yours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How wonderful that your mum was recognized for her amazing skills! Just so beautiful! namaste, janice xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yarn 'stash' is what we call it USA ~ Gorgeous yarns ~
    I try to stay out of yarn stores ~ can't knit fast enough ~ soooo.no go ~ LOL

    Be Safe, Be Well,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏