WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

MenU; Merely a Make-do

When over at the Hutch, I was keeping things a little basic. Needed to use up some items which had been in the store for quite a while. 

One such was some frozen, ready-rolled puff pastry. Alarmingly nearly two years past use-by! What to do with it? Heck, that's easy. Omelette tarte. Slice some tomatoes, leek, green pepper (or any other similar vegetable) and soften them down in a frying pan with some sweet corn nibbles (or peas... or maybe broad beans) with a little butter, just to start the cooking.

Line a pie dish with some baking paper and arrange the pastry, pricking the base to prevent too much rise. You could, if purist, blind bake it. I didn't. Layer the vegetables evenly over the base. Whisk 3-4 eggs with 250ml milk and seasoning and pour over the veg. Top with as much shredded cheese as you can stand. Bake at 190'C/380'F until pastry golden and crisp and the egg mixture set in the middle. Serve hot or cold. 

(I'm here to tell you about it, so the two-year-out-of-date pastry was not nuclear...)



It's coming round again folks - FFF next week!!!



19 comments:

  1. that is a super recipe, I will try that ... of course of course!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My gosh...that looks delish!!

    Where the heck did November go???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I 187% agree with the Twins and LLB gang. My mouth is watering...that looks absolutely delicious, moist and very healthy.
    Good to know 2 yr old crust is not nuclear.
    I'm so ready for FFF we had an event on Monday night here (not involving humans) let me just say Truth is stranger than fiction. LOL
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks yummy. The more cheese the better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could do this it's not a recipe really it's just instructions plus it looks absolutely delicious and Bob would love it too

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is there any left? We will be right over:)

    Another one to add to our list of things to try. We are going to put some vegetable soup to the test after Thanksgiving:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delish ~ and simple to make ~ love simple recipes ~ not very fun to cook for one ^_^

    Live each moment with love,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, I would have used it, too. I only learned about vegetable tarts this summer. Mighty fine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never done puff pastry.
    Stay Safe and Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness but that looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We live in a household where 'out of date' is a purely subjective thing where food is concerned. We are glad you made good use AND enjoyed it. xxx F and Mr T

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Yam - delicious ... the kind of thing I do - except I don't have pastry anywhere around! Glad you're using things up though ... all the best with the changes going on - with thoughts - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  13. According to my mum they will pretty soon put Best Before... dates on toilet paper! However, it is always good it has not become nuclear. Mind you, how would you tell you start glowing when you're asleep.....

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏