WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menoculayshunal; Fed Up

Following on from the interest generated by last week's post regarding food, let me share with you a little more on the subject. Indeed, it is the very fact that it raised queries that brings forth the key thing about food... that it is universally looked upon with a degree of lust!!! 

idlis (rice cakes) and sambar (south Indian dahl)
It is important to understand that by entering the gurukula, all students were avowing brahmacharya - restraint. The lads were referred to as 'Brahmachaari Name' and the gals as 'Brahmachaarini Name'. [For interest - Those of us who were senior might also be called 'Appa' (father) or 'Amma' (mother) by those from south India, or 'Chaachaa' (uncle) or 'Mausii' (aunty) by Hindi-speakers.]  While many wear white in India when it is heard that one is brahmachari, that cachet goes up. People are immediately deferential and seek to offer things—most particularly food. To feed one on the spiritual path is seen not only as a part of dharma but also as a way of expiating one's own erroneous nature. This might take place on an individual level, but the wealthier devotees sought to provide food for the whole batch at the ashram. (We were 15th Batch at Sandeepany.) 

dosa with coconut chatni
Most of the time, our breakfasts consisted of upma in one version or other (my fave was the lapsi or broken wheat), or poha, but on Wednesdays, it was idlis and sambar, and on Sundays, we might get dosa!!!  

It showed our lack of restraint that most of us got rather excited about breakfasts at least twice a week! 

There are fortnightly fasting days (vrat) in the Hindu calendar, and on those days, we had simply water and fruit, which was refreshing.

For our midday meals, there was usually rice with a curry of sorts, mostly based on one vegetable, and as the months went on, that tended to be one of either carrot, beetroot or cabbage, and beetroot was always welcome. Still, somehow the carrots became less and less attractive. If there was a bhiksha (donated) meal from a visitor, then it might be upped to the fancier ingredients such as chana (chickpeas) with poori (fried bread) or mixed vegetable jalfrezi and better quality rice. There was always a gilass (tumbler) of chaas - which in our case was a teaspoon of curd mixed into water. 

Evening meals were simpler altogether and lighter - dahl with roti, for example. Then, every so often, there would be big functions. The ashram might host a wedding or a conference (as income -but the trade-off was an extra special bhiksha for all residents of the compound), and then we ate exceptionally well from banquet-style foods. Also, festivals - but my post next week will be about those.

We ate almost exclusively in Annakshetra ("field of food"), the canteen in the compound's centre, from our provided utensils, at long steel tables. In theory, in silence. That was sometimes hard to maintain, particularly if we had outside visitors, but we were generally pretty good. Before every meal, Chapter 15 of the Bhagavad Gita was chanted as well as the food prayer.

For the first eleven or twelve months, I was going really well. But then the rheumatoid arthritis decided to kick in hard - attacking my spine, now that most other joints had had a going over. I'd also had a bout of malaria by that time. Aacharya-ji became a little concerned and suggested that I might have to be given a some leeway on the matter of food (and certain attendances - of which more later). I had mentioned previously about obtaining refrigerators for a handful of us to keep fruit and milk. Now I was permitted to go shopping for other items that would help to keep me healthy. This added some interest and variety that I had not been expecting. Not to mention some mixed emotions, but again that fits into the Vedantic part of things and will be covered again later. 

Once a fortnight, I would take permission to exit the gate and obtain an auto (rickshaw) to whizz round the lakeside to Hiranandani. Many wonderful shops, including Haiko supermarket where I could get fresh fruit and veg and spices and - cooking pots!


My 'One Pot' was a rice cooker and veg steamer in one, and I valued it highly. It is still a tiny regret that I could not bring that out of India when I left! I became very adept at creating dishes from it, called my 'one-pot 1ders'.

Veg in coconut kadhi with fresh curd

Mattar-paneer-chawal (peas and cheese and rice)

Barley and veg broth.

I would occasionally invite fellow students to come and share with me - which had to be done diplomatically. If they were caught (particularly 'my sons'), they might have to serve prayaschitta (penance). I shall ever be grateful to Aachaarya-ji for permitting me this boon. It is quite possible that without it, my health would have become fully worse. I always attended breakfast and most midday meals, but I rarely ever went to the evening meal after that midway point.

Next week, mela and mangoes...

15 comments:

  1. It's good you were able to whiz through so many shops and accumulate food variety to sustain you. Past that, peas and tomatoes and cucumbers and cheese and crackers and barley soup and and and and what's not to love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The food pictured all looks tempting! It's good that you were able to come to a satisfactory compromise over the food at the ashram. You've reminded me of how much I was craving a meal at an Indian restaurant after a year living in Bartlesvilke, Oklahoma. (Prior to that I'd been living in English cities with large South Asian populations and very diverse food cultures). Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the kitchen in india... we had a guest once who cooked such fabulous things for us... it was a feast in any way...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you could get some concession on the food front. I like broken wheat... I have known it as dahlia in Hindi ... It's very nutritious too. Yummy food you have made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari Om
      Yes, dalia is the the name given in the recipe link - but I always heard the cook-wallah declaring 'lapsi, lapsi!' to us as we approached. But I recall him being Gujurati - and when I look that up it is the broken wheat mixed with dried fruit, nuts and jaggary, so more of a sweet. We did have nuts sometimes in ours - but never did the budget extend to jaggary or sultanas!!! I like the savoury mustard seed variety and you are of course correct, it should more properly be called as dalia!. Yxx

      Delete
  5. YAM what a time you had when the dreaded R.A. raised its head. I'm so glad you were given an option to change up your diet. Your rice cooker was a much loved appliance I am certain
    Hugs HiC

    ReplyDelete
  6. IF I had been there, you would have been my best friend/pal and I would have been hanging out at your place at meal times. your food looks fantastic, the other is on no... although the one thing that looks like a pancake i might like.. it was good of them to let you have the foods you needed. i do know that certain foods make my osteoarthritis ache a LOT.. i am going to try the cheese on rice dish, looks like salsa?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari Om
      That is Indian cottage cheese and the sauce is a form of very mild curry (virtually no chili just lots of cumin and turmeric and ground coriander, mustard and ginger...) in fact here is a simple recipe, just skip the chili if you wish. It is absolutely one of my staple dishes! Paneer has a texture similar to haloumi but has no salt added. Where you find haloumi you should also be able to find paneer - but I can tell you how to make it if you're really keen!!! Yxx

      Delete
  7. Hi Yam - so interesting to read ... I know I couldn't have survived with so little - but I guess one adapts and you'd made your mind up ... until the dreaded RA reared its ugly head - and am glad you were able to have some light relief and given some leeway - stay safe now ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's good to hear you were allowed to supplement your meals during your stay. Those one pot meals look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The photos look so Yummy - it makes me miss living in the Vancouver. The Indian food there is spectacular! But I've heard that it is pretty good in the Okanagan too. Alas, most of the restaurants opened since I left to work in Vancouver, and Covid has shut them down since I got back. I am hoping I can get out and have some wonderful food (that I've not made) again! I do hope your RA is better! Have a marvellously happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We made dosas here a few weeks ago but they didn't look any where near as attractive as yours. Maybe more practice needed. xxx F

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such an interesting phase of live on so many levels. namaste, janice xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've had some amazing adventures! I laud you! xx

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏