WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menogrinchikul???

The trouble with purchasing a lot of stuff together is that it all ages in much the same period. I have mentioned earlier about Voovoo's bits becoming dead - DVD drive, Bluetooth, internal speakers (intermittent), and latterly, the wifi adaptor, necessitating driving internet connection via the also ageing YAMroid tablet, which takes fits now and again at being so blatantly shackled into slavery (it's not a shackle, I tells ya, it's a simple USB connection lead). This means it is permanently reading 100% charge. I think it is drunk on the power. Every now and then, it goes on wifi strike, and the only way to get it back online is to use up some of that power and then reboot. You have to throw a bone every now and then. Further on the tech front, the well-pounded Logitech keyboard (I regularly do upwards of 5000 words a day) is beginning to really bug me. Frequently keys don't register so I get missing letters all over the place. Often on comments and I don't spot it till published. The shift key is one of the worst - leaving me with no capitals at times. (We'll not talk about the ageing fingers that, after a lifetime of touch typing, have decided they can turn dyslexic...)

In the kitchen, the toaster has done a couple of weird things and yesterday started moaning. I kid you not. I am afeared to stick any bread in it today. I just had a roll for breakfast instead. The refrigerator has taken to creaking and sighing, too. Mind you, since I packed the freezer to the very gunnels in prep for festivities, it hasn't done that. Maybe it was just protesting at lack of attention?

Then there is the peculiar thing with the Fudge (Fuji DSLcamera). Despite setting date, functions, silent mode, it keeps defaulting to factory settings each time I switch it on. Plus the picture quality is starting to reduce quite a bit.

It is all just going to have to keep ticking along for a good few months yet. 

To add to teeth-clenching triggers, Google keeps updating with fancy little tweaks that have nothing to do with actual function but can sometimes interfere with actual function. The one last week was to correct an error that glared from the one before that, which left a message annoyingly hanging on the search engine front page. In doing that correction, something else got upset. On Blogger, I have again been finding some blogs don't reach my reader until as much as two days after they were published, and those on which I regularly comment (which is most of them, let's be honest) might think I have gone on holiday. Dream on. Occasionally, a post or two don't get onto the reader at all. 

A similar thing has started happening on the tubular as well. Some vids are not arriving on my alerts until a full day after publishing. And on a couple, I have only found new vids by searching for them (because I'm keen, y'see). Sigh...

But look, it's Christmas week. There must be some joyful stuff going on in the Hutch, surely? Well, I had a practice run at my planned menu for the big day (did I mention a stuffed freezer?) When Mac1 visited recently, I had requested she bring some items I cannot obtain in Dunoon. A Dutch company called Vivera produce the ultimate vege mince. They also produce "chicken goujons," the most delicious pea-protein 'breasts in crumbs' which one can bake or fry. It is these I tried out, with potatoes, parsnips, carrots, gravy and cranberry sauce. I shall be adding some Brussels sprouts and broccoli to that mix... and might even film it for another "YAM in the Kitchen" vid. 

There have been a few requests for things to be covered in the kitchen - for which each of you, "Thanks" (you know who you are). In 2022, then, look out for more live action from the Hutch!

To try and raise the festive mood a bit, I watched a couple of carol services and Susan Calman's Christmas Cruise. Then there is Celebrity Festive Masterchef and I note the Sewing Bee is getting in on the holiday train. I have even searched and bookmarked a couple of those twee Hallmark movies. Whether I ever get around to watching them is a matter of debate. They are a departure from the norm in these parts. But I am trying, I really am.

That's enough ramble for this Thursday before Christmas. It only remains to place my 'card' here - just in case anyone reading here wasn't for any reason on my send out list last week.



11 comments:

  1. Season's greetings to you and yours too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear...things often happen in threes I've heard. Creaking appliances this time of year can cause ALARM.
    I once heard freezer work their very best when FULL.
    As for the interwebs they have been a tangled mess for me today had slow and requiring several restarts
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's no fun when the electronics start to fail us. We are so dependent on the connections we make, especially through our blogs. Your big meal sounds delish we just wish someone would invent smell-o-vision so we could enjoy it with you even more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Yam - good luck with all things techie - I can't help ... and similarly struggle too. But I'm looking forward to some good food cooked by others! I've been eating veggie recently ... but have got lots of fish to keep me going - take care and see you soon - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. we wonder why da christmas week is always such a special one.... maybe it is made that we all are tired and sleep over the howlidays ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to read about the tech troubles - you are at least better placed than most of us to find work arounds. And the festive kitchen activity sounds most agreeable. Not so sure about the Hallmark movies though. I'm looking forward to the rediscovered Morecambe and Wise episode to be broadcast on BBC on Christmas Day!
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There truly is nothing more frustrating than technology that doesn't work properly. It makes me want to scream!
    Merry Christmas Eve Eve!
    Lee and Phod

    ReplyDelete
  8. My new camera from 2014 is on the fritz again not wanting to auto focus or adjust lighting. I feel your pain in the pocket book. Had to replace my tablet earlier this year. Take care. namaste, janice xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my. It seems like the bad stuffs always strikes at the same time. Enjoy your stuffed freezer and your Christmas cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are my techie hero, but no matter what the techie crumbles to, the hero remains. Have a lovely feast!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is going to sound a little crazy, but actually all of this post has made me feel better. I am so sorry all your tech and appliaces are acting up at one time, but the reason I feel better is I felt all alone and now I know it is not just me... things usually run in threes, but you have far exceeded that. now you will be busy prioritizing what comes first, needs or wants, food storage, or access to internet and camera.
    the food does sound good, and I will not tell you what we are having for Christmas dinner, i want it to be a surprise on the blog. you will never guess. Bob is much better today, MUCH better. so that is good. Merry Christmas and I wish for you a wonderful New year with lots of new things appearing sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏