WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menoloopal; A Monday Mischief Post

Last week, those paying attention know that something took place on Monday before Aitch left the Hutch. Having had a most excellent Sunday, oot and aboot, we were pretty tired. We didn't rush on Monday, and although I awoke early, I did manage to lie until a little before eight o'clock. I was not at my best. Having not only had quite a bit of exercise and fresh air, there had also been the crowd at the quilt show to deal with. That small hall was PACKED! Never mind COVID stuff, I was never much good at close quarters with people en masse, and as Aitch noted, there did not appear to be any ventilation for the place. Thus I was dealing with a touch of claustrophobia as well. All this builds to a state of mental exhaustion that does take its toll.

image source; ClipArt
Thus, last Monday morning, filling the kettle for the essential first cup of tea of the day and being extremely groggy and, possibly, resembling a bear with a sore head, I thought it odd that I could smell gas. 

I checked the hob. All okay. I checked the cupboard with the meter - it seemed okay. Aitch entered at that point and agreed there was some odour that definitely didn't fit with Hutch's usual ambience. I checked the cupboard with the combi-boiler... definitely stronger there. I switched it off, and we opened the windows. I went to OctoKan to get hold of the power company's emergency number (silly me - if I'd looked at the meter properly, the emergency number was there... but... it was Monday, and Mischief was determined to play). Then OctoKan wouldn't let me sign on. After three goes, it was asking me to jump through security hoops. What The....?????!!!! I shut it down and started again. The mood was less than warm and poor Aitch wondered who this person was that had replaced her usually unflappable and friendly mate. The emergency number lady was also having a Monday morning, I think. That is the only reason I can afford her being so highly officious and condescending - not like the 999 services, where they are all caring and concerned. It was almost like she was accusing me of having caused any potential leak myself. The YAMster you all know and love would normally have let that all drip away, but not that day. The mood got blacker still. Aitch went and checked the stairwell.

The engineer was at the door in little more than twenty minutes from making the call. He was rather more cheery and quickly got to work on the diagnostics. After turning off the supply, it didn't take very long for him to find that there was still gas to be measured in the corner where the boiler resides. I could tell he was puzzled. He said he needed to go around all the immediate neighbours to check their situation. When he went out, I voiced to Aitch something that had occurred to me earlier - that the neighbour immediately below me may have left his stovetop on. A few minutes later, the engineer was back wondering if I had a contact number for that flat! I made the call and passed the handset to the bloke to discuss B's having to get back from his work. That took about an hour. 

Yes. B had left his hob burning, and the flame had gone out, leaving the gas to build up! I am not sure how that happened, as most hobs these days have a cut-out function if a flame drops. Anyway, that was the source of the problem, and everyone could breathe freely again. 

The adrenaline had really built up in me. After it was all done and signed off, Aitch and I sat with another cuppa, and I found I was shaking all over. I think having someone else there caused increased concern - but it also highlighted to me how, with age, I am growing less and less tolerant of having to think about home maintenance and such. Particularly being in a multi-dwelling situation. All of which added another little bit of grist to the mill of change looming between the Hutch and me...

image source; FreePIK


18 comments:

  1. Glad ya got the gas smell solved! It stinks having to deal with people who act like YOU caused the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back on the open road again? Is that the sun rise or sun set you are driving into?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phew... glad it ended safely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone came out and check it out. I don't what would happen if I call the gas company.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gas in homes scares the life out of me - even more so in multi unit places for exactly the reason you experienced. I had someone do that with the gas stove on my canal boat when they were visiting (we slept in our yacht tied alongside and hadn't gone across before going to work ). Even modern 'fail-safes' fail it seems. These days we cook on induction - same speedy effect, no open flames, nothing explosive. I have seen what gas explosions in living spaces can do. You were so very fortunate to get is sorted with no damage or injuries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      Having experienced induction cooking on that last trip to OZ (three years gone already??!!) that would definitely be my choice in any refurbishment here - or in 'the van'... Yxx

      Delete
  6. I'm very glad the source was at least identified before any damage was done to the building. Given the well known dangers of using natural (methane) gas, it's incredible how some think that the hydrogen, a massively more dangerous gas, might be a solution to the problem of decarbonising domestic heating systems in the UK....
    Although I confess to still being attached to my gas hob...
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      Cooking with gas is undoubtedly the next best thing to open fire - but does come with the added health risk! As mentioned to F/Tigger, I was surprised by how I like induction cooking on my limited experience and that would be my future choice. I have to admit, too, that while hydrogen powered vehicles are potentially better again than all EV types, it is the explosive nature of H that keeps me from being overly excited about them! Yxx

      Delete
  7. Hi Yam - how very difficult - your engineer seemed to be very sensible ... fortunate for you both. I am pleased it was sorted out for you ... take care and all the best as you ponder the future. Have a peaceful week - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you find, as I do, that as we get older these incidents play more on our mind than they once would have. I'm increasingly aware of all the maintenance and safety issues around my home - and devising plans to minimise in future. Recent months have been dominated by caring for Jane's dad (hence so little blogging) who is now frail and seems constantly to be recovering from frequent TIAs and even small strokes. He would not cope with any sort of gas leak or similar - without us, he'd be lost. Oh, how I hate the thought of getting to old...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari Om
      Couldn't agree more, Mark; I think, in part, it is that we also appreciate life has dimensions that need not be concerned with such mundane matters! Also, at a certain point of aging, we become entirely self-interested, no matter how open we may generally be. It's a preservation thing, I suppose. Yxx

      Delete
  9. What a SuperScary situation and I'm so happy that it turned it well. I would have had a major migraine from the odor and stress☺

    ReplyDelete
  10. without all the work you did to track it down and all the calls with officous people, the building could have blown up or people could have died from smelling it. I find that I am much less patient than I was even 5 years ago and when things go wrong so do I... living with bob who is 8 years older, he is even less patient that I am and the two could ignite that gas just from the words between us. so glad this was taken care of with no harm done

    ReplyDelete
  11. YAM I was a ball of nerves reading this saga. Gas leaks scare me...Thank goodness for a quick response from the Gas company. Whew I hope the never was properly scared into be more attentive and observant.
    Whew
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well that is a mischievous day! I can see how the stress of it all (and the thoughts of what could have happened that we just can't let go) when one is tired would just be a little too much! We are grateful no damage occurred and all is well. Lady has a coworker whose mom was a 999 (or for us 911) operator. He jokes to do anything fun, he had to go to friends house as his mother was very cautious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. First and foremost, I am sooooo glad you got the gas problem resolved!!

    I had noticed, especially in the past 5 years or so, that my usually friendly and open demeanor had started to decline unwrapping someone grumpy and short tempered that I didn't quite know! Lo and behold, a change in scenery, especially one much more conducive to what I need in the form of people and sunshine is bringing back the gal I once was....

    Food for thought!
    Hugs!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  14. We're glad this saga had a favorable outcome. That could have been a terrible disaster had you not noticed and contacted the proper people to fix it. Sorry to hear you were not having a good day even before the gas problem. We're sure your friend understood how upsetting it all was.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gosh, YAM, I can understand your nerves. I'm a bit unsettled with the kids here all week. We are also dealing with switching banks, and the hoops we have to jump through... I am glad all was resolved. Take care! xx

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏