WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

MenU; Friday Foodables

YAM's back in the kitchen! This one was filmed on OctoKan and is as good as the ones filmed on Fudge... but, similarly, the sound quality is not the best. Until such time as I can afford more dedicated equipment, this will suffice - using earphones improves the listening experience. 

Today, pakoras. A lot of folks (and indeed, some eateries) list these as 'bhajis', particularly where the onion is the key ingredient. Bhaji, though, is actually more of a stir-fry sort of dish and can contain several vegetables (one of my faves is okra and tomato with peas and eggplant). Where individual vegetables - or a combo like the radish and capsicum I use in this vid - are coated in batter and deep fried, the correct term is pakora. These are commonly found as street food but are equally popular in family homes as they are so easy and quick to prepare. I do have an electric, lidded, deep fryer which I would use for larger batches... but for myself, and for better visuals, here is the more traditional karahi with oil method. 

Note that you can use any veges you like - cauliflower, potato slices, eggplant, okra, carrot (rough-grated works best)... also, I used a prepared flavouring I had been gifted; most people would have no trouble with it but I had quite some 'feedback' from it, so ought to have stuck to my usual, which, for the record, would be half a teaspoon of ground coriander (or a tablespoon of fresh minced), half a teaspoon of cumin and a quarter teaspoon of amchoor (green mango powder) with seasonings to taste. Sometimes I add chilli, too... Right - on with it! Any questions - ask them in the comments!!!

13 comments:

  1. Good to see you in the kitchen. Your wrap is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a coincidence! Just yesterday evening I had pakoras!
    So, lovely to see you in the kitchen .... What you have made looks so yummy!
    This is one of the most popular snacks in this part of the world!
    Do you have it very often, or is it just once in a while?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      I own up to being a bit of a pakora fan! Whenever I have veges going a little 'off fresh', this is a great way to use them up! Yxx

      Delete
  3. They look wonderful , just the perfect accompaniment when watching Eurovision tomorrow night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. they look yummy and not that hard to make. My IBS diet will not let me eat these, but i would if I could. I love okra and tomato, and that was a staple in our home when I was a child, daddy grew what we ate and mother used to put the okra and tomato in jars for the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of or had pakoras. They look yummy and I can almost smell them cooking away. Love your beautiful shrug!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAM you cracked me up with 'take a few menomoments to look mindless'. OMCs I take lots of those when I'm cooking.
    Here in Dixie we like veggies breaded and deep fried too especially okra and squash.
    You noted not to use garlic again. Did the bit of garlic you used disagree with you?
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      It did... garlic, remember, is actually a medicine, a seasoning but it can also aggravate the body. Have written about this previously and will discuss again in the future... Yxx

      Delete
  7. It's almost like we're in the kitchen with you. You have such a lovely, natural presenting style. The sizzling noise of the frying is picked up beautifully too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess we have always called em fritters - zucchini, corn, onions are our favorites. Sometimes we add whizzed up cooked borlotyi beans to the batter. The gram flour makes them nice and crispy on the outside.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought the audio sounded fine and I always enjoy watching you create in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We enjoyed watching you cook and those all looked so yummy. Our mom was mesmerized by your beautiful shrug and was glad you mentioned it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is an excellent teaching tool! I do like watching cooking shows. This is special with you in it! I love your humour.

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏