WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menoturals; Saturday Sounds Of Nature

A follow-up to last week's post; Well, the Kookaburras brought forth something very interesting that I wish to share with you before getting onto this week's bird sound. Sandra (aka the Madsnapper) commented that she liked this sound as it reminded her of jungle films. I thought it odd, as Kookas are only found in OZ and some in Papua New Guinea. They are not jungle birds, although may be in the denser parts of the Aussie bush as well as urban and open grassland - and certainly not to be found in any other setting. However, after a bit of an email tete-a-tete, Sandra forwarded THIS LINK - and I stood corrected! I clearly hadn't been paying attention. At least the article acknowledged the misplacement of the bird. It does say that OZ has some jungle in the NE... which is not exactly correct. What is found in Australia is Tropical Rainforest, which lacks the level of undergrowth and liana/creeper vegetation that is considered 'jungle'. (Did you know the word arises from Sanskrit जङ्गल/jangala, which actually refers to arid country?) 

My thanks, also, to reader and penfriend Joni, who brought the following to my attention - Hollywood really is a place of 'never mind the facts, run with fantasy'! (For non-Spotify listeners, click here.)


Now, for a bird that I did not hear every day, or sometimes, even once a week. But they were definitely around in the bush below my Asquith window, and I also heard them quite a bit in the nearby parkland. The Eastern Whipbird is notoriously elusive, though - often heard, seldom seen. I did get to see some with my naked eye, but never got any into my lens. It is a sound that cannot be mistaken for anything else. (Unless, of course, there is a Lyrebird nearby... more on that when we get to it!)

In this recording, you will hear both the male and female. He gives the whistle and whips. She will respond (mostly) with a 'chup chup tuu tuu' huskiness.

19 comments:

  1. This is a lovely bird to look at, and the calls of each sex are clearly distinguished. Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  2. In grade school we sang Kookaburra set in ole gum tree.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Back in Aberdeen, happily reunited with Nobby, and now enjoying the novel (to me) sound of the Eastern Whipbird over breakfast this morning.
    Cheers! Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Yam - the Whipbirds' calls are enticing to listen to ... lovely to learn about - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the happy sounds and calls of the whipbird!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have heard of the kookaburro many times, but not this whipbird. it is a distinctive sound and a pretty bird. I listened to a about 6 minutes of the pod cast enough i could get the gist of it... its all true about Hollywood and what they do. the difference is now we have instant access to just about anything, and I was as shocked as you when I found the thing about the kookaburrow and jungle movies.. they can't fool us now. ha ha=

    ReplyDelete
  7. Morning YAM
    I am a huge fan of all the zoo programs. I especially love it when I'm watching Australia Zoo: Crocodile Hunter. Terry (Irwin) does an exceptional imitation of the Kookaburro with a Kookaburro. It seems to be responding to her imitation
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, Yam

    The Whipbird sound is very unique, thanks for sharing the video. Take care, have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAM,
    I am stopping back to say thank you for linking up your post. I enjoyed the video of the Whipbird and it's cool sounds. I hope you are having a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We love the call of the Eastern Whipbird. There are a few birds that we hear but seldom see around here, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a neat post. We learn so much from each other too, don't we? I love the photos of this bird. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a pretty bird!

    https://craniumbolts.blogspot.com/2023/01/the-saul-kere-series.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy memories of Australia, YAM. I doubt that I will ever make it there again, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The only bird I know is the kookaburra, since we used to sing the song a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We love the bird call series. Didn3know that Hollywood fact about kookaburras but now that you mention it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Last evening we enjoyed sharing a meal with our son's family and his FIL, Ed. Ed is a major birder currently living in Costa Rica. He joins birding expeditions frequently. He depends at times on the songs of the birds to confirm his sightings. Appreciate your taking time to share these songs! namaste, janice xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. What lovely sounds to listen to. So relaxing. Would love to see and hear for real one day.

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏