WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menotopperatin; Slow, Slow...

Matthew, from the Glasgow Transit Centre (Ford Dealership - Evans Halshaw), called me yesterday, wondering if I would like to join in a workshop event on ownership and management of an electric vehicle. With a bit more warning, I might have made the trip in. But I am a bit busy, really...

Though, given it is only a week before I set off on the first big van trip, you'd think I'd have put a bit more effort in! Seriously, though, despite actually loving this heatwave, it does make working inside The Grey less than comfortable. Also, as mentioned, my spine can only cope with about 90 mins to two hours at a go. Then I missed a couple of days due to researching different lining options and other bits and pieces required to help me in this task. There has been some progress, though...

This was the state of play on Wednesday arvo...
...and this was the situation last evening. 
I know it doesn't look much, but all that measuring and cutting and trimming and sticking...
and, in the end, this amounts to about six hours of actual work.
Told you I was slow.

The cladding is due to arrive on Monday; after looking at all sorts of interesting options, I've settled for the dead boring soffit lightweight tongue and groove stuff. It is going to be the quickest and easiest option to manage myself and can be applied with 'no more nails', so no screwdrivers or drills required. Not averse to those tools, but again, time, time...

Along the top, just below that black wire facing, are bolt-fixing holes. I will apply a wood stabiliser on top of the cladding, to which I can then affix furniture and shelves or suchlike. There are also very strong tie-down loops in strategic places, which I will use to secure furniture.

And, no, I will not be building furniture (though that is a skill I do possess...) Instead, my intention is to utilise some cabinets I inherited from Dad's place. They are 1960's teak of that timeless style that is hugely popular now. I am in two minds about whether I will keep them as that golden wood or will wrap them in a lighter-toned vinyl (potential sacrilege, I know, but practicalities, people, practicalities!) I will also be placing some sets of drawers. To start with, I am only going to use my "Z" bed and spare mattress.

If you look closely at the first image above, you can see the 'power on board' outlet panel. (Lower right, beside the wheel arch.) Utilising the engine battery, I will be able to cook and run a refrigerator (12v) as well as extra lights, a fan in the summer and a heater in the winter. There is a monitor that ensures the engine is never so depleted that one cannot drive to the nearest charge point if required! 

Anyway, that's enough of that for now. What else distracted me on those two non-work days? Why, the Strawberry Moon, natch. The Gopika's first image had me thinking about an alien invasion! It came about because I clicked through the double-glazing. Opening the window allowed for the second image. Still not brilliant, for the colour was way more intense pinky-orange than comes across here. Did you gaze upon this summer delight?








21 comments:

  1. One has to take advantage of times to refresh and renew! Nothing better than a little retain therapy and moon watching. namaste, janice, xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that moon too and it was so orangie. You are having to put a lot of work into this van. It's going to be just the way you want it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was born in 1960s
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to see that you're enjoying yourself. 👍

    ReplyDelete
  5. And it will look great when finished - all yours to enjoy- in whatever way you want to

    ReplyDelete
  6. we missed it.. sadly... we got so much rain it was impossible to put your nose out of the door... we like your van a lot... and we are sure the first trip will be van-tastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just catching up here after driving my friends to the airport for the 6:05 am flight.
    Progress is looking pretty good to me, considering the spine issues etc.
    Cheers! Gail.
    PS Nobby sees lots of chewable items in those photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello,
    Looks like you are doing a lot work on the van, I am looking forward to seeing the finished job. Beautiful capture of the moon. Take care, enjoy your day and happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That van is really going to become your home away from home. Many adventures are on the horizon, no doubt. And I really thought you might have moved back to Australia by now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari Om
      Not as straightforward a prospect as you may imagine, David; not least having to get the Hutch into good order for selling and allowing for slow market here. Lots of other factors not for airing - but it is on the slate. Keep watching! Yxx

      Delete
  10. You're making wonderful progress on the Grey and it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am totaly impressed that you did all this, it looks professionaly done to me. I had to stop and find out what a z bed is, that is pretty cool, you can leave it up or folded, can't wait to see what you add here and there. will the fridge be ready to go with you in a week or will you be roughing it on the first trip. so many questions that I know you will answer as you go. Looking good. you are talented

    ReplyDelete
  12. Reminded me of the beautiful song 'Moon Shadow' by Cat Stevens.

    ReplyDelete
  13. YAM we are in 100000% awe of your hidden talents. WOW x87. You are certainly making your wheelie home top of the line.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are amazing. I so laud your spirit. I guess I missed the part about you selling the Hutch! All the best. XX

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are doing an amazing job so far!!!
    Really like the moon shots!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Grey is coming along nicely. We look forward to see how it all turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Grey is looking good! Wowzers you are moving along quickly! And I LOVE the Moon shots! Love Barb

    ReplyDelete
  18. Catching up and am so excited about the Grey! As you may know, this is one of Lady's dreams, but the RV adventure has turned the Man off such things. Lady is so excited to follow along. Lee and Phod who prefer staying at home.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Yam - you're doing it ... that I admire tremendously ... I do hope all continues on at a pace suitable for you ... take care and with thoughts - the great grey will be on its way soon. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏