WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menootnaboot; Fife

Yes, the park-ups in Fife were winners—when I could get to them! A couple defeated me. You saw the first one in yesterday's post. To be fair, it wasn't anything spectacular in the views section, but it served a fine purpose and I was most grateful for it. Particularly as it was entirely free. 




Having done my shopping that Monday morning, I wanted to go to Lower Largo for a charge and have lunch. Now, I believe I mentioned yesterday how WEE these fishing ports are. They were built when horses and carts were the transport of choice. They are narrow. I said, N.A.R.R.O.W. With sharp corners. You'll have an idea if you've ever been a model village. Gorgeous. Requiring more than tin foil nerves to negotiate in an elephant masquerading as a van. All good, though, and L/Largo delivered! I mean, look at this:













The wind carried knives of ice, but that sun was out, and I had to don a hat and specs!!! Take another look.




Yeah, baby!!! While The Grey sucked juice, I utilised the toilet block, accessed water to refill my tank, had my lunch sitting on his back step, spoke with passing locals, loved on a pair of spaniels and chatted with their peeps, chatted with a local bird watcher, chatted with the Robin who seemed to think I had made lunch for him too... (three pics - attitude - and to truly make this post valid for NF with the LLB gang!), and all-in-all had a most pleasant couple of hours.






Moving eastwards along the coastline, then, I had intended my next park to be at Pittenweem. However, the park had been closed that very day, for the week, in order to be resurfaced. The first of no less than four - FOUR! - multipoint turns were then executed by Grey's six metres in roads only eight metres wide. With big walls and or fences preventing overhang. The next place along, very close to Anstruther, proved impossible for Google to comprehend, and this is where she took me down the path strewn with IEDs in the form of speed bumps, resulting in the damage I showed you yesterday. After the first couple, I did manage them better; however, it wasn't enough to have to face them once, we got to the end of the track to discover it was a dead end, and this was the second multipoint turn of the day, this time with the risk of going down a small cliff on one side and a six-foot high grass bank on the other of the barely eight feet wide track. Sigh. A couple of miles back, at Anstruther, another attempt at a park proved impossible due to the aforementioned NARROW and SHARP and add in EXTREMELY STEEP access... third multipoint turn. The next park with any appeal was the town centre carpark in Crail. It was still narrower and sharper, but this time, it was a little more negotiable, and I did reach the spot, only to find all the spaces taken. Fourth multiturn. By now, it was approaching five in the early evening, and time I had settled and started tea. The teeth were beginning to grind. There may have been growling. And HBO language.




Hello Kingsbarns!!! This was a paid parking spot, but golly, it was welcome, and I was happy to give them the ten quid a night for two nights. Although - if I were to be picky - for that money, I might have expected less than a lunar landscape surface and that all the toilets were accessible, rather than one out of the seven being open and all and sundry sharing it.


That's not even showing you the three giant ponds in front of The Grey... However, they actively support van life, and I enjoyed my walks along the beachfront and finding a lovely bit of wood for my shelf fix. 

You can see some of these places in the second video of the series for this trip, including my use of a nifty neck hanger for the Gopika at Kingsbarns so that I could try some 'bodycam' filming. Like most of my video work, it needs practice, but there's potential! Oh, and here's a pretty primula, spotted in some beach art garden at L/Largo - you know, Nature Friday and all...



Okay, this is getting long already... the rest of the Fife part of the trip coming up on Monday! 


20 comments:

  1. Love the Robin photos. Fife's East Neuk is indeed a very attractive stretch of coastline, even if the steep narrow roads leading down to the quaint harbours are not exactly 'Grey-friendly'. Gail is a wee bit disappointed that St Monans, home of her ancestors, did not feature in this post. Next time perhaps? (The church and graveyard is a beautiful spot).
    Hope alls well in Ellon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      Oh, yes, I full intend to explore Fife in fine detail!!! Yxx

      Delete
  2. that is beautiful... and we love the time where we can bring back the sunnies...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A bit of an adventure! My brother uses an online thing which shows charging points, plus the reports on them and if they are in use I think....I will ask him and report back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari Om
      Hi Gwynneth... I did actually cover all the apps I use in Monday's Post, including the most widely UK option of ZapMap. Here in Scotland, I favour the CPS app, though do back up with PodPoint, avoiding wherever possible the fast charger (which charge price!)... unfortunately, good as they are, they cannot be 100pc accurate and one does have to call the helplines on occasions - or just drive on... Yxx

      Delete
  4. Hello,
    I love the water views, beautiful photos. The Robin images are adorable. I am looking forward to seeing more of your travels. Take care, enjoy your day and your weekend.!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seeing that robin makes me think, YAM, that bird seed should be an essential component in your list of contents. Your avian friends will provide great company.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The robin looks like he was being lined up for mug-shots. What has he been accused of? The roads sound challenging and I do recall the geography of parts of that coast when having visited it years ago by both car and motorbike. Not what I would call 'bus' friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed the good, the bad and the ugly of Van living and the Robin is a big part of the good and that beautiful beach view is also. most of all I like the talking to all who passed by, and of course the dogs. I think you had a tad more good than bad/ugly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The robin looks most friendly and I love your hat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like a hazardous trip, what with all the narrow tight turns. You must be an expert at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  10. YAM what a wonderful double dose of your trip...here and on THE GREY's blog. WOW
    thank you and I love your sun hat...for obvious reasons...I recently bought a 2nd sun hat in navy blue with a larger grim. My first is the color of yours we more narrow brim. They will be used accordingly depending on the time of day I'm out and about.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful post....and what natural beauty you saw!
    Thanks so much for joining us for Nature Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute little bird. Looks like a lovely town to explore. Whenever my daughter and I are out and about if we see dogs we always try to pat them with the owners permission, just can't help ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the little bird and its shadow ~ delightful series of photos of your travels ~ thanks,

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Goodness, those tricky turns put Grey and your driving skills to the test but you were both cool under pressure. The robin pictures are delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the lovely pictures of your little robin friend. Your skills with The Big Grey are admirable, but I expected no less.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Yam - the views are glorious ... I'd be enticed too - while certainly the robin is a delight to see. Congratulations on your driving skills! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome post and photos, Cute Robin :) Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We're curious to know if the robin was rewarded for his modeling job.

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏