WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menootnaboot; Moving On Up (The Coast)

Crossing the Tay to Dundee, I parked for the night by the Bridgeview Station Restaurant/Riverside Drive.


This stretch of public parking is probably more for the university sports fields to the right of this photo, and it does come with a flood warning, but I felt fairly confident, despite all the rain, that we would be safe for that one night. We parked mid-arvo, so I had time for a wander along the promenade for a stretch (well wrapped up against the return of winter I mentioned in the previous travel post) and then back and into the Bridgeview for what I intended to be a cuppa and some cake, but turned into hot chocolate and coconut rice pudding with rhubarb sorbet and oat crumbs.............. oh my ......

The place was buzzing with business despite it being a weekday afternoon. There were good vibes. The ladies on the table in front of me were as excited as I was when a flock of Starlings appeared to be making a minor murmuration right outside those windows. It was over in a blink, so there was no time to photograph it, but it was a little bit of magic.

Back to The Grey to settle in for the evening. Got some crochet done on my next pair of socks, some catch-up listening and viewing, and slept well. The next morning, it was on up the coast to St Cyrus National Nature Reserve.

Here, there is not only a CPS charge station but a welcome for van travellers! For a voluntary amount (suggested £10, and I happily paid that for each of the two nights spent), one not only has a safe parking environment but the peace and quiet of nature, access to several walks, an info centre... and use of toilets with HOT running water! WTG, the parks peeps!



A minor negative was the very poor cell signal. It was enough to communicate by text, but it faded out when I tried a voice call with Aitch. Forget any media access! That was fine. I bundled up against the fierce, ice-laced wind and wandered the dunes' path. I did have some video of that, but I fear that in a fit of clearance at some point, I deleted it before downloading it. Sigh. I do have the following shots.




I did photograph a lot from the info centre that I thought would interest many of you - but that will be up here tomorrow for Nature Friday! I thought the words on this dedication stone were lovely...


I left this place (a tad reluctantly—but again, I shall return!) and moved further north again to an overnight stop at an RSPB reserve called Fowlsheugh. Some of you will already have seen the video of that place on the tubular channel. It's not a place for the weather-timid!



Just the one night there - where there was zero signal beyond the "emergency calls only" warning - and on into Aberdeen to meet up with Nobby and his Gail. He and I had personal time together as she had other business that first evening... 


I'll save what we did the next day for the next Nobby post... but on the second evening, there was impawtant business for Nobby and his agility pals; if you click the image, you'll get to see some very short clips of what they did! (Just in case, this is the link from text.)


More from the Aberdeen visit in next Monday's post; meanwhile, enjoy the Nature Friday offering tomorrow and keep smiling, everyone!



15 comments:

  1. "Home is where the habitats are." I love it. I bet your mobility scooter went thumpity thump thump over that bridge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A full post today. Well done to St Cyrus NNR for proving such a warm welcome to The Grey. And I'm so pleased you made it to Aberdeen without getting blown off the cliffs at Fowlsheugh.
    Cheers, Gail.
    PS Wet again here this morning. Cycle ride in doubt...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting wandering..and good meeting up as well

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Yam - wonderful post ... you do find fascinating places to visit - I know the connectivity aspect is a must for The Grey - perhaps he does your searching! Loved the poem ... and great that you'll be back ... it does look chilly! What fun meeting up with Gail and Nobby in Aberdeen ... while as she says the cliffs at Fowsleugh look brilliant - even in that typical coastal February/March weather. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that stone wall and the photo of it. a beautiful place for charging. yikes! I don't know how I would do without ACCESS to wi-fi.. can't wait to see the NOBBY post. I know he was happy to have someone home with him that night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello,
    I enjoyed the scenery at the places your were parked at, Love the coastal view, the waterfall and the cute Nobby. The words on the stone are lovely. Have fun and safe travels. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What phenomenal, rugged country. I can only imagine poking around in nature in such a place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is really wild country. Worth going back in another season, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh but that rice pudding looks tasty and I love the words on the memorial stone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those cliffs at Fowlsheugh look treacherous, and the agility training looks more like a work-out for owners than a challenge to the k9s involved. They should have a bouncing component of that course - surely Nobby would win handsdown.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We're enjoying tagging along on your Grey adventures and can't wait for the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful pictures; I love the bridge and waterfall. And the Nobby and friends agility clip! I keep coming back to that hot chocolate and rice pudding though. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful journey you are having so far!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have the most amazing ventures! We hit 4 p.m., after I watched our late PM's funeral (4 hours!), and I realized there was no point in getting dressed! After that it was curling, so I just relaxed and gabve myself permission to veg! XX

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏