WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menootnaboot; Northerer and Northerer

Leaving Aberdeen, The Grey and I went first to Ellon for grocery shopping, a charge-up, and, we thought, a park-up. The weather was grim. The Aldi and the Tesco were brim. The charge-up was a flim... and the park-up a flam... I had planned to go to one particular charge point, but it proved inaccessible, despite being operational 24/7... so back to Tesco for the VERY expensive charger as it was already bedtime. Getting to the parking spot, I found it to be a bit 'naked', and for the first time this trip, I decided to drive on, not feeling comfortable. It was well after eleven pee emm before we landed beside the Railway Museum of Maud. This proved a good choice as no one bothered us; we had that Friday to ourselves in the thundering rain and a halfway decent signal, so that was one of the places I did some catch-up posting/reading/ watching/listening. 




Saturday, March 16th, dawned as all true spring days ought—bright, clear, fresh, and full of promise. It was time to hit the road again.

It was less than an hour's drive to our next stopping place of Fraserburgh. A working fishing port, this is not a polished diamond of a town. Rather, it is quartz. A rough-hewn sort of beauty, down to earth and approachable, with a hint of sharp edges. 


I had a wonderful stay. Let me share a little about why. One of the attractions was the Scottish Lighthouse Museum. Finding our way to the very sloping carpark beside the building, I decided to take Grey over to the little bit of land by the cliff, where two other vans had clearly spent the night. (It was, in fact, marked up in Park4Night.) The museum door had a slightly arch notice, "Closed from November to Spring 2024, but the lighthouse tours are still on." Okay. Brunch, (show off the latest sock project), dress up against the chill wind, and out came the Rolls-later. 



Off I went for a wander. I am putting some views here because I need to catch up on the Tuesday views posts; it's getting detached from the flow. Though some will just have to wait! (You can see a bit more in motion if you watch the video!)






At the lighthouse (Scotland's first!) I realised I would not be able to face or manage the stairs up to the lamp. However, I enjoyed visiting the info and gift shop. I chatted away with Michael about the building, the light, the locale. He was a real 'have-a-chat' and said he hoped I would make a return visit when the museum was open. "Spring 2024", it turned out, means March 29th - just in time for Easter hols! Before I left, I enquired as to whether he felt the parking on the ground where I left Grey was actually okay. I asked because there were stones marking the kerb, which looked as if they had been moved (see them beside Grey?) Michael said that the land actually belonged to 'the taxi man', but that folk did stay there. He didn't really know much more but also mentioned a couple of other places I might like to try. We parted cheerily, and I went into town for a wee look around. It is small and quite easy to navigate. I spotted a wee bit of oral history -


...as well as grabbing some glances at the lovely fishing vessels... (you know me, I'm a sucker for a big boat. Well, any sized boat, really!)


Then, in the town centre, I browsed a few shops, including a shoe shop. I have difficult feet—small, wide, arthritic. I got a new pair of Crocs (in grey, of course, 😁), but I also invested in a new pair of good leather walking/dress shoes with adjustable insoles. I discovered the style is called the good Scottish name Rory! 


I got back to Grey mid-arvo and was sitting with my back in the sun, unloading my haul, when a voice called out behind me. I didn't hear what he said, but the elderly gent at the wheel of a large car seemed keen to get my attention, so I went over and requested he repeat. The sentence began with "you people..." and continued along the lines of potentially being inflammatory about the parking situation "this being my land".

I looked him in the eye and said, "You must be the taxi man!"

That stopped him in his tracks. "How'd you ken that?"

"Oh, I was chatting with Michael at the lighthouse and asked him about this land. He told me of other places to go, which I intended to do once I'd had my afternoon cuppa. Would you like to join me?" 

"Why not, eh? Tell me about your van..."

He had the tour and was very admiring and complimentary of The Grey ("real smart looker this one"). At 82, he was still limber and climbed the steps quite well to sit with me. A cuppa, a biccie, and a good natter about his taxi and bus business (now permanently closed), his sister-in-law who, at 73, had bought herself a van and was doing what I am doing, his family background (very deep Fraserburgh family), that Michael at the lighthouse is actually a cousin thrice removed... I asked why he didn't put up a fence or sign that this was private land. He had done it, but they all got trashed, mainly by truck drivers contracted to the fish processing plant on the other side of the museum building. He was less than complimentary about them. He had thought about seeking council permission to make the land into an 'aire' for vans, but there were all sorts of regs and hoops to jump for that. The same had happened when he applied to build a boutique hotel. 
No Longer In Business

An hour and twenty minutes later, I asked my new pal if he would mind if I spent the night on his plot, given that I was a self-contained vehicle and had no intention of spinning wheelies or churning the gravel.

"Not at all, dear; you're most welcome, and I hope, Miss MacLean, that you will come and visit here again!"

With that, Mr Kenneth Noble and I shook hands in a fond farewell. 

This is another part of van life that I truly enjoy. Connecting with the places I stay not just through commercial activity but sharing time and a yarn or several with the residents of those places. Building rapport, breaking down fences - not in the fish truckers' way, but with a smile and a cuppa! And I will indeed return to Fraserburgh.

After a very fine night's rest on Mr Noble's land, I departed the town and headed west...







18 comments:

  1. You certainly handled the taxi man with aplomb! And made a new friend from the sound of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yamini Ali MacClean, you are a wonder! Exactly as expected. Lovely picture of a fishing boat there coming into harbor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fraserburgh has now gone up a notch or two in my estimation!
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was a beautiful blogger by the name of Jill (Land of the Big Sky) who lived in Fraserburgh. An artist and wildlife lover sadly she died just on 3yrs ago. You would have got on well with her
    There are little hidden gems just there right under our noses - just have to look carefully for them

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,
    Sounds like you met some very nice people on this stop. I love the views of the water and boats, the town and the lighthouse. I would enjoy the lighthouse tour! Safe travels! Take care, enjoy your day and have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Living proof that there really are still nice people in this world. Thank goodness I know some of them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you have listed today two of the things I would love the most about Van life, that being the love of a good yarning with strangers and taking photos. the lighthouse is beautiful and so happy the old guy was nice and gave you permission. you proved your get more flies with honey than vinegar. love that big boat photo. Puddle street sign made me laugh, it seems the world was the same back then as now. humans just can't get along

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAM this entire post delighted all of my senses!!! Lovely brunch, a bit of mystery, will she or won't she found a good place to park. Lovely views, new shoes and a friend. All exactly why you love traveling
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  9. You had some beautiful weather for your stay in Fraserburgh and it seems like you've made a new friend, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The 82-year man is an inspiration now for me who thinks that I'm aging.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the photos and especially your new socks and the latest video!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What another fun visit...the whole "nomad" life is one filled with so many interesting new people!
    Oh yes...and that lighthouse museum really caught my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well you look like you're well wrapped up to deal with the cold, I like your colourful scarf and socks. Your food looks so yummy, is it bacon and cheese on toast? Perfect for cold weather with a cup of team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari Om
      Not bacon, but "vacon" - vegetarian rashers, every bit as savoury! Yxx

      Delete
  14. What a thoroughly enjoyable post, especially the making of new friends.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Yam - what fun ... you make the most of your journeys - the area sounds so interesting. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, you charmed him! I love it!
    I love your 'grim' weather report. They are forecasting 20 cm snow here. I just hope not! XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. You look fabulous and your socks are wonderful!

      Delete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏