WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menootnaboot; Tayport Time

The drive down to Dundee was blustery and blattery, and there was snow on the hills. The A90 is a trunk road, therefore lots of traffic, but on the whole, everyone respected the conditions, and things moved along at an appropriate pace and without incident. Dundee was a bit fractious, as so many of the once small towns turned into cities now tend to be. Similar infrastructure challenges as mentioned in the Inverness post. However, it must be conceded that the flow was still pretty efficient, and I was into Tayport almost before I knew it. This is one of those Fife towns once a thriving port, now more dependent on tourism and the yachting crowd. It is situated on the upper right 'corner' of the county, in a similar fashion to Fraserburgh is in Aberdeenshire, and could be classed in the same quartz-not-diamond category. If you know how useful quartz (silicon) has been to life, then you know that these towns serve a strong purpose, too, albeit less glamorous. 

I found my way to the harbour car park in the early evening, where I plugged in for a charge and wandered up to the local chippy for a treat. Proper hand-carved, twice-cooked chips they were too. Yummy with my coleslaw and cheese salad. I should mention that it was blowing icy rain at right angles as I traversed the 100 yards or so, and the chips were almost cold by the time I got back in the van! 


(This is going to be a picture-heavy post again because the views posts just can't keep up—and anyway, there's nature on show, so it's good for NF with the LLBs!!!) I would have liked to have photographed the yachts directly, but, well...

After the charge was completed, and it was already dark, we moved around to Tayport Links Park. This proved to be a fantastic spot.


I met so many dogs and their peeps here, all willing to stop and say hi. A couple of the ladies were excited by the van and my trip, and one had the full tour as her sister was dying to have a go at it (similar age to me), and they had been watching lots of the van tubers. "Sarah's going to be so jealous when I tell her!"

My full day there was, at least, dry, if not warm or lacking in wind. The whole park area is reclaimed land and prone to flooding. This I learned from Colin, who walked old Cassie twice a day, so we had more than one lengthy chat. He had lots of local knowledge and was good company - I hope we shall meet again whenever I return. For I will. Like Fraserburgh, I felt settled here, and there is lots to explore that I just didn't have time for this trip - or, indeed, the weather. Lots of walking routes to do.


As it was, I hauled out the Rolls-later and wandered the immediate area. I went all around the pond, then down to the Larick Centre, a community hub with toilets, events rooms, and a cafe; unfortunately, the "cauliflower soup" turned out to be garlic soup with some cauli in there somewhere. It was the first time in a long time I had left a meal. Oh well. Then, back to the van via the caravan park on the shoreline. 






































By the time I was settling in for my tea, the rain was back, and the wind was fierce. Storm Kathleen was arriving—and in no hurry to leave. I had started to hear something that was slightly concerning. It took a minute or two to locate the source...


Grey sprung a leak. It's coming in from the roof. A patch I noticed from the Hutch when looking down did have me questioning this possibility, but it took mega gallons of a downpour for it to finally break through. Something to add to the list of minor fixes at the annual checkup!

Anyhoo, as I departed Tayport on the morning of the fifth, the storm continued to build, and I opted not to go to St Andrews as previously planned, for it would be far too exposed. Instead, I discovered another wee gem, which I shall share in the next travel post on Monday!


17 comments:

  1. The hedges in the very first picture are fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been excellent weather for leak testing the van!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Yam - well done ... it sounds amazing ... you're doing such a lot. What pity about the leak, but I guess you're ready for it ... also sorry about the soup, again those cold chips - still they sounded delicious. Looking forward to the next wee gem! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    Looks like a pretty stop, the scenery is lovely with the ducks, moorhen and the water views. The sky looks beautiful. Both my hubby and I have tested positive for the Lymes Disease, I may be rechecked next week. Sorry to see The Grey has sprung a leak. Take care, enjoy your day and happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari Om
      Eileen, I send healthy thoughts to you both, for it can be a most unpleasant infection. As with so many things, it has a range of effects and treatment is improving all the time. May your diagnosis be relatively benign and fully treatable. YAM xx

      Delete
  5. I would imagine that, even perhaps only for a brief moment, your thoughts must have strayed to the pleasure of driving the Grey around the backroads of sunny NSW. Mind the kangaroos now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari Om
      It must be admitted that this was indeed the case... for a few moments 🤠 Yxx

      Delete
  6. At least it is only leaking above the waterline! Lyme disease increasing is a bit concerning. Great coastal views but I actually love the rain blurred view of the marina.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The landscape and photos are beautiful and we are so sorry about the leak. Ticks are horrible icky creatures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. sorry about the leak. this is a perfect post for NF, and I enjoyed all of it through your lens. ugh on the garlic soup. A friend of mine has a daughter that tic bite has ruined her life's, it started when she was 15 and the doctors had no clue what it was, and 2 years later when they discovered what it was it was to late to help her. she is 20 now and she missed her entire highschool years in school, she did graduate because of tutors at home. she will never be the same unless someone discovers a new cure. glad to see the sign warning people

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those were some serious raindrops on the wind shield and dripping inside Grey. I hope it was an easy fixs. It is very disappointing too look forward to a delicious meal only to find it NOT. The 3rd photo looks as if you could have touched the clouds
    That is a most unusual bird. It has chicken like feet. If it is a chicken it is definitely different.
    TICKs are scary and plentiful here in Dixie too and fleas.

    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also am fond of the raindrop views...although I do hope you get some sunny Springlike weather soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Read your post, sorry about the leak, Amazing pics. Stay well. Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  12. What beautiful scenery you found on this trip. We hope the leak can be fixed soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are so glad you were able to get out and about before the rain returned. We understand all about the wind, it has been quite blustery here, and chilly. But now we have summer heat!!! Your photos are lovely and we are so envious of your wonderful adventure. Also many thanks for your encouraging words at this tough time for us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope it's all safe and sound now. Now, is the leak any reason why you're parked for a few days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari Om
      No - am simply delaying the end of my Seconds Trip... next stop, The Hutch! Yxx

      Delete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏