WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menondering; Northward Connection

This is a continuation of last Thursday's post, in which I made tracks up country to meet an etherpal for the first time in the flesh. After a day of 'gathering' myself at Munlochy, June 20th dawned bright and promising good things. It was only an hour's (ish) drive to Dornoch from there on the A9. Most of my journey from Edinburgh had been on this major road, and that kind of driving is not my favourite—but it covers territory. I had heard from Arti that their hotel said I could park on their premises... The Royal Golf Dornoch Hotel. This was very convenient! There was plenty of room, and Arti was there to greet me by the door with a big, warm hug. 




Arti Jain and I connected some eight years back online via the annual A-Z challenge. We became solid, albeit intermittent, 'pen' friends. There was an occasion a while back when Arti was over in the UK and sought to meet up. However, at that time, the farthest north she was going to be was Birmingham, and I did not have wheels or timing to arrange it. Arti and her husband, Ashish, have a son in London and a daughter in Birmingham, so they make regular visits. They were also UK-based at one time but are now residents of Doha, Qatar.

That first hug confirmed that our connection was real—like sisters. I knew then that this wouldn't be just an hour of polite talk. I arrived by 10:30h, and we didn't say farewell until after 16:00h—that, too, reluctantly!

After the initial chitter-chatter and exchange of gifts, we first walked into the town centre and into the Cathedral. (It was featured here before on the last family trip with Father. Check the Dornoch Label.) It was a delightful visit, during which we met one of the guides, Mairi, and chatted about the building (celebrating 800 years this year) and the locale. We both got an anniversary pen, and I added to my magnet collection. 




From there, we went over to the museum. What a wee gem that turned out to be! We were met at the door by Keith, who was more than happy to photograph us by the sign (Historylinks is the full name). This is one of those small but perfectly formed establishments in which one can learn much in quick order without getting overwhelmed. 



We both found things to capture our imagination and appreciation. There was an obvious strong connection with the schools and youth of Dornoch, as many of the exhibits' additions were created by smaller hands. There were some exquisite, intricate, and small finds from Iron Age times and lots about recent industry and business—not least the golf! Before we left, we filled out a questionnaire for feedback, and Arti enquired about a piece of artwork on a gift card. The manager and volunteer, both called Lynn, could not have been more helpful or accommodating in tracking down the artist to enquire about producing more of the cards - and discovering there is an original full-size piece from which the cards were printed. Arrangements were made to see whether Arti could make the purchase. The ladies were fascinated, in their turn, with our story of connection.

It is run mainly by volunteers, with only manager Lynn coordinating things, and this was an excellent choice to share with my friend. The entry (as 'seniors) was only £4 each, and the ticket was valid for a week of revisiting. I gave mine to Arti so she could bring one of her travelling companions the next day. 

Did I mention that Arti was in Scotland because Ashish and four other fellows were on a golf pilgrimage? They had all taken up the sport during 2020, so they were relatively 'green'. However, they had decided they were ready for a challenge or more, so this week in the Bonny Land was organised. They went first to Oban, then up via Fort Augustus to Dornoch. They played Golspie on the 19th, and they were on the course in Dornoch on the 20th (and the wives went down to Inverness for shopping, so Arti was glad she had me as an excuse for that!) I believe the last match was played at Brora. A fairly intense introduction to Scottish golfing links!

Anyway, Arti and I had lunch after the museum at Milk and Honey; jolly tasty vege fare it was, too! Then we gently meandered up to the hotel, where the barman kindly arranged some afternoon tea for us and opened the restaurant to sit and watch the firth and golf course. Ashish had finished his round and joined us for a cuppa. Then, the time came for me to make tracks again. Another lovely hug and lingering farewells, and Arti snuck this shot of me plotting the navigator to my next park up...

It was a day of joy, respect, collegiality, and worthy exchange. Arti is a wonderful writer and poet who is interested in many similar things as myself. However, as is healthy, there were also those things in which we could find and compare differences and appreciate that for the colour and depth it lends to a connection.

It may take some time, but I know that we will meet again. Golly, I have been so fortunate with all my blogpals. Everyone I have met has proved to be all I hoped for, just as I had perceived them from their blogs.

Let me close this part of the northern trip with a selfie of me wearing the beautiful pashmina Arti gifted me. It's a timely offering, as that night got quite chilly after the 27-degree day!








14 comments:

  1. What a lovely meet up with Arti. Brave woman to undertake a Scottish golf tour as a relative novice golfer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you Yamini. Sharing this post with the rest of the golfing gang:) I am yet to download my photos of Scotland. Got to learn the art of non-procrastinating from you.
    Thank you for making the trip. I shall cherish the time we spent together with warmth and love. Grateful for the chance to see you in person eight years after making the first connection. For me, our hugs were the highlight of the day. Felt like home. Till we meet again. And you are glowing in pink:) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to meet in person, as we found..and that is a beautiful and useful gift xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. this post is so full of joy and happiness and the photos of you and Arti are priceless. I agree that you do glow in the rose colored pink.. You are making friends all over the places you travel, all the people you meet are new friends, maybe never to meet again but making precious memories

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sometimes think these intermittent and brief encounters are the best kind. There is not time to notice petty irritants or discover annoyances. It’s all just fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello,
    It is wonderful you were able to meet up with Arti your blogging pal. Sounds like you two had a great visit. The gift looks beautiful on you! Take care, have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful to know that you could meet up with a blogpal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it wonderful to meet up with a blogging pal and you connect as if you've been friends for your whole life. The pashmina is lovely and pink looks very pretty on you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like you and Arti had a wonderful time together. You look great in that pashmina she gave you too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. YAM I felt as if I were with you and Arti...what a great post about two beautiful new friends meeting and feelins as if they were old friends. Thank you and Arti for sharing this most special moment. I do 'really' know how you felt and I do really know how good you hug and how welcoming you are.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's Great, Loved this post. Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a perfectly wonderful day!!! You not only got to spend precious time with your friend but also share the treasures of the museum. That pashima is absolutely gorgeous - such a lovely color, and beautiful on you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've not met too many fellow bloggers - but it has been good when I do. Hope all is well.

    Stewart M - Auckland, NZ

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏