WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menoturals; Fishy Flinguistics

Welcome to that day of the month when Nature Friday with the LLB Gang and Final Friday Feature with me coincide. 

Last week, I shared with you the fun I had at Macduff Aquarium one evening in June. Although called 'midsummer', it was actually at the end of the month. 

Although the main reason for visiting an aquarium is to see the live fish, it is also a place of education. In September, Macduff will close temporarily, and a whole new structure will be built around it. It will include a specific education room, extra exhibit space, and a cafeteria with an observation deck. Rather exciting! It was one of the reasons I made a return visit as soon as I could - and will be there again this final weekend of July...

But I digress. Sticking with last week's post and another piece of 'education', I found this presentation about the naming of fish in local vernacular entertaining and enlightening. 


Scorpion Fish... unless you prefer one of the following!






In the shark nursery, these two baby Thorn-tail Skates, even together, were no longer than my hand. I have small hands. In the last image for this post, there are four fish in total. Can you spot them all?




12 comments:

  1. Yes, the 4 fish are visible though one is hard to notice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari Om
      And looking again myself I find there's actually five fish here! Yxx

      Delete
  2. Having spent the last quarter of a century grappling with NE Scotland's dialects, it comes as no surprise that the fish and shellfish here have unique and weird names!
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the aquariums, they are a fun time. I found the 4 fish but they were hard to find. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is always a multitude of local names for organisms, not only fishes. In every country there seems to be myriad colloquial names for birds, many quite entertaining. In Canada we have a whole host of indigenous names, too. When I was last in Britain I was taken aback by the number of odd abbreviations for birds in popular parlance with birders - a goshawk was a gozzie, a kestrel was a kezzie, a sparrowhawk was a sprawk, a sparrow a spug, a thrush a throckie and so on.


    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed the names, just like flowers and trees in nature that have so many names. very entertaining names. I did find all 4 fish but might have missed them if not aware to look for them.. beautiful photos. waiting to see the new building in the future

    ReplyDelete
  6. We found all four! The spotted one was the hardest to see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun to learn new names. Flinguistic ahem

    ReplyDelete
  8. WooHoo I loved the photo of the Old man of the Sea smoking his pipe....thank you for enlarging his sign later much easier to read.
    Those are some great fishy fotos.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Scorpion fish always amaze me when I see them in the "wild". They can stay so very still, for so long!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We enjoyed reading about all the different fish names and seeing the pictures of the underwater creatures. It will be interesting to see the new structure when it is completed.

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏