WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menoffagainorrhoea; Montrosian Memories

Picking up from last Thursday's post, where Aitch and I had discovered the statue of Bamse and were heading around to the south side of the channel with a thought to visit the lighthouse...

It turned out that the road took us into the ancient wee fishing enclave called Ferryden. Lined with higgledy-piggledy wee homes that were, we discovered from a third generation local, originally all single-level, and then built up to second, and some to third, levels. Proper multigenerational homes. Aitch was taken, as was I, by the pulley-system laundry drying facilities...




We found a parking spot right at the end of the road, beneath the cliff with even more higgledy-piggledy huts leaning against it. Trying to find a way up to the road leading to the lighthouse, it became clear that it was beyond me. Steep and very narrow at one end, precipitous steps at the other. Aitch did go up the steps but didn't get as far as the lighthouse - it was further out than it seemed at first! She did get some lovely photos, though, and I will share a couple here, plus more tomorrow.



Meanwhile, down by the huts, a fellow was pulling in his boat after having had a successful morning's fishing. Mackerel. Paul does this just to keep himself busy, as well as goose-herding, car maintenance, and grandad duties. He offered us a fish. He gutted and prepared it for us right there by the shore...




While Aitch was doing her solo clifftop wander, I took that fish and seasoned it, oiled it, wrapped it en papillote, and baked it in the air fryer for twenty minutes at 160' C. The meat came away from the bones like butter, and we ate it just with bread and butter. It was all we needed after our big lunch, and it was beyond delicious. That's me having my once-in-a-while break from vegetarianism!

After that scrumptious morsel, I took Aitch up to book into her accoms, then we wandered onto the main street of Montrose for her to chase a few caches. Like so many towns, there is a sense of faded grandeur. We found some little gems to keep us interested, though, and agreed it was a place we would revisit as there was so much more to explore.





I got to know Paul and Nancy quite well because Ferryden turned out to be my park-up spot for the two nights of our stay! What a fabulous wee tucked-away place. I found out that the huts were all owned, but the land belonged to the fishing boss along by the quay, to whom a rent was paid. Paul had nabbed the last available plot. Dang. I'd've been tempted. This is such a peaceful, uplifting spot. Watching the ships come and go (mainly related to the off-shore wind farms), seeing dogs and kids enjoy the water on the beach over the other side, watching the Gulls and Terns and Eider as they engaged with the currents of the South Esk... yes, industrial, but with a charm it is hard to convey. And then there are the mornings... four in the eh and emmmm... four and thirty of the eh and emmmm... five in the eh and emmmm...





14 comments:

  1. What a charming visit!!! You can't get fish fresher than that, bet it was really tasty. Growing up as a child, we had a pulley line like that for the laundry. It stretched from a second floor porch across the back yard to a telephone pole way at the back. I was always terrified when it was my turn to bring in the laundry as I did not like leaning over to grab that pulley line. Heights are not my thing:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been years since I got up early enough to watch the sun rise. The most serious go at it, I realized one must be up a good hour before it clears the horizon to watch it actually "rise". Lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You found plenty of positives in what I've always thought of as a dreary town. Love the sunrise shots
    Cheers!
    Gail.
    PS You'd need strong clothes pegs when using that laundry pulled system. There's a reason why offshore wind generation is a good option for these parts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow how beautiful... and the air fryer was my first thought too as I saw the fishes...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mackerel, fresh from the sea, seems like a perfect choice for an occasional piece of flesh. It’s a good reason to swing by that way again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sunrise shots are just gorgeous and there is nothing better than a fresh fish meal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great series of photos, Sunset pics stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, the fresh fish dinner sounds yummy. Your sunrise photos are gorgeous. Take care, enjoy your day and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous captures. Love mackerel!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YAM what a lovely spot to park...with beautiful scenery and sun rises and sets. WOW
    I am kinda picky about fish...Daddy used to say I quit eating fresh fish when I was too old for him to pick the bones out.
    I like salmon steak but will only eat fresh fish filet...
    They surely had a lot of fish
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely spot you found to stay. How nice of the fisherman to give you a fully dressed fish for your lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Yam - that fish must have been delicious ... oh I take myself back ... memories! Looks like a lovely place - and good to know you're both considering going back ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed this visit, what a beautiful spot to live or to visit like you do.. the church is magnificent, the clothes line is my favorite photo. I have seen them but not over a beach. I have a friend that is vegetarian but she eat a small piece of fish and a small piece of chicken each week to help with protein.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful post, I could smell the salt air and heat the waves!

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏