WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menondering; The Art Of The Journey

In the early days of this blog, I ran a 'dictionary' so folk could translate my titles; it became onerous, and stats showed it not really being consulted. Mostly now, I recycle a few basics, and then the subtitle advises what you might expect from the post. Occasionally an entirely new creation appears. Today, though, I return to a full description of the keyword - for menondering has been around since the early days and relates, as you might deduce, to meandering.

That is the bit of van life from which I derive one of the greatest pleasures: waking up in the morning and making a decision about which direction to go. Perhaps some planning has taken place the day before; perhaps not. Maybe there are two or three options on hand to reduce the entirely random. But random is okay, too, and can offer up some great experiences.

Make that the bit of Life. I have been a roamer since I could walk. A dromaniac, remember! 

After the lovely day and restful night by the River Dee, The Grey and I menondered a few miles up the road to Drum Castle. It is on the list for the National Trust for Scotland and right along the general direction I was heading. 

Given that the weather was continuing to present as summer, I again opted not to take the internal tour and instead admired the building from the exterior, though I did take the opportunity to enter the chapel for a few quiet moments.  I had a short woodland walk just because I could and admired the mighty playground of castles and frames created from some of the wood naturally gathered from the property; that was possibly the busiest part of the entire estate! Yelps of joy and voices filled with adventure and wonder drifted over from this place, and one couldn't help but smile.  After the woods and chapel, I headed down to the walled garden via the pond...










...oh but that was just a tease. I am saving the walled garden shots and one or two others for Thursday's post! Be sure to return for that.

Meanwhile, I will say that the single disappointing thing about my visit here on this day was that "Mary's Larder" turned out to simply be a small, wheeled cabin that was running out of food supplies even by 11:30... very poor planning on a school holiday in summer. I left then and drove another few miles north to stop by an ancient monument and make my own lunch. When visiting the site, I was greeted by the farmer's dog, who clearly understood her role as guide and guardian!







The possibility of spending the night on that layby did cross my mind - however, there was a surprising amount of traffic and the road narrow, so decided instead to head up to Dalmadilly Ponds. I spent two nights and one full day there - not venturing down to the ponds themselves, as it was quite a hill to negotiate. I did, though, have fun watching the almost endless stream of people turning up to go swimming and paddle-boarding, kayaking and, in one case, scuba diving, plus fishing and picnicking ... and playing the chanter and drums! A happening place, Dalmadilly.

It was also one of those places that happened by the random and unexpected—a proper delight. I did, though, have to keep in mind that the main purpose of pursuing the back roads of Aberdeenshire was to get back to Macduff Aquarium for the last weekend. The days were moving along.


17 comments:

  1. Menondering is the way to go for a dromaniac! Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful place, Great post. Loved all pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Familiar places here, all occasional ports of call on Thursday morning bike rides from Aberdeen. The lochs near Kemnay were a favourite place to enjoy our morning coffee from a flask when the cafés were all shut during the pandemic! Nobby will enjoy the photos of the walled garden at Drum, as he is not allowed in that part of the estate.
    Cheers! Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow that would be my place to discover and to find out and to imagine what I can not find out... wonderful!!! the chapel is such a cute place if I could I would marry there...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would imagine that this beautiful place might be quite bleak in the dead of winter. Do you plan to still be living out of the van then? Perhaps you’ll leave ahead of bad weather and make for the Isle of Wight or some such winter retreat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari Om
      Winter doesn't daunt me, David. Indeed I started out this year while winter still raged. All was fine 👍. Yxx

      Delete
  6. Lovely views of the Drum Castle. The chapel is pretty, love the gardens and the stone circle. Safe travels! Take care, enjoy your day and have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wondered the same thing as David, this is stunning, you know I love all stone and stone buildings. I like the steps and doors to the chapel best of all. gorgeous place for sure. so what would this place be like in winter. I don't remember much about your winters, if there is snow or ice, that kind of thing.. keep these photos coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      With the erratic nature of our climate these days, there can be no telling what the winters will be like. Sometimes, they are no worse than some of the summers we get - then again, raging storms have become more frequent. They would be the most bothersome insofar as I would need to find somewhere The Grey isn't likely to be blown down a hill or over a cliff! There could also be danger of trees coming down... so places like my lovely Lanark may not be the best option during one of those. Snow is much less common nowadays, but even if it does arrive, it's no different from rain for those of us in vans; we just find a place that we can park for more than a couple of nights and huddle down for a bit! Keep watching... we'll deal with it when it comes!!! Yxx

      Delete
  8. I am always in awe of the gorgeous stonework of these castles!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAM I do so thank you for all the beautiful photos and explanations you give us. I am a big fan of Stone which Scotland is an expert at laying and stained glass windows. The farmer's dog was definitely keeping you in it's sights.
    That is a border collie right?

    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  10. So much to see....the history, the flora and fauna...the dogs ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  11. That made for some fun and interesting menondering. We were intrigued by the playground with all the wood creations.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What beautiful places you get to visit. We're glad you let us tag along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Drum castle and the other antique structure have some romance about them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Yam - I'm glad you clarified as I'd been thinking something else ... do not ask what - just let your mind wander around womanhood. You are doing lots in the Grey - I think it's wonderful - beautiful places and views ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏