WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menondering; I Do Like A Wall Or Two

On Monday, I told you about the visit to Drum Castle. The walled garden was the highlight of the morning. There is a good variety of shrubbery on display, but the main focus of this garden is roses—specifically, heritage varieties. You might guess that I have a photographic overload! I have now created a sub-folder for this blog's post images dedicated to flora and I will eke those out over the weeks so that we carry a little bit of the summer with us into the fast approaching autumn and looming winter. (I mean, really, is not this year going at light speed??!!)


The garden at Dun House had felt very ... tailored. Clipped and curated to within a seed of production. It was beautiful, no doubt about it. However, I found myself rather more relaxed in this one. It may have been the rose-scented air that had something to do with it, but it was, I think, also because roses lend a more 'blousey' relaxed appearance to the scenery. There were ornate bits - like the paved centrepiece above and the gazebo...


Then there was the sundial. It took quite a while to work out exactly what was going on - indeed, it was only because the lady standing in the centre read the small print that we determined the purpose of this sunken patch.



There was a plaque with the names of several months on it (April to September, I recall), and by standing on the relevant month (July in this case), the shadow would fall at approximately the time of day. At first she thought it was wrong - but I reminded her this had been created before BST was introduced, so it was accurate to GMT, give or take 15 minutes.




That last one is the main flower shot for today - not roses, I know, but still rather gorgeous, donchya think?

Before I left the grounds, I got diverted by a little side track - following that inner compass again - and found this...


The Irvine clan are the heritors of Drum, and the fence is around their burial plot. The stones you see in front, though, are for a number of pets (presumably dogs). 

Oh, and to see who has been paying attention, what do you suppose is the origin of the name Drum?


16 comments:

  1. What a lovely place to visit. We loved seeing all the flowers in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah roses - my favourite garden flower. We should thank the dedicated volunteers who help maintain the beautiful gardens at Drum - they include my cycling friends Anne and Muriel.
    Cheers! Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow it becomes better and better.. ... that would be so so soooo our place...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The gardens are just gorgeous and I love the gazebo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very beautiful, YAM. Was it fragrant as well as visually stimulating? The other day I thought of you. I got out of bed, a little sweaty after a warm night, straight into the shower and it felt delicious. I thought, “YAM can’t do this.” What triggered that chain of thought, I have no idea. A shower and the pleasure of getting soaped up is surely one of life’s most simple pleasures. And one that I would find very hard to give up. Going to a building in a campground just wouldn’t work for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      There were fragrant blooms - but the air was not particular scented.

      I will need to do a post on personal hygiene in van life, it seems! True, I miss the simplicity of turning on a tap and dousing - but a flannel bath works just fine and only in the van - I don't do campsites. Yxx

      Delete
    2. What “works” and what is sheer pleasure are two different things!

      Delete
  6. the division photo at the last is my favorite, the red flower that is NOT a rose is my favorite flower, in fact I can say all of these photos are my favorites today. stunning is what they are. I want to stand on the sundial, I want to walk under the trellis, I love this look and do not like trimmed gardens. my least favorite is the hedge that has been trimmed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello YAM,
    The gardens are beautiful, a lovely place to visit. The flowers are all gorgeous. I like the photo with plaques with the months, a cool sundial. Wonderful collection of photos. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful.
    Druim...drum...ridge or back

    ReplyDelete
  9. OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YAM LOTS OF EYE CANDY TODAY. I AGREE I WITH YOU THE LOVELY WALKING PATH THE THE GAZEBO WAS QUITE INVITING. GARDENS ALL BEAUTIFULLY MANICURED TOO.
    OF THEN THERE ARE THE WALLS.
    HUGS CECILIA

    ReplyDelete
  10. So much flowery beauty! I am glad gz defined why it is called Drum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So much beauty. The daisies have to be a favorite as my wedding dress was adorned with appliques of daisies.

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏