WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menoturals; Negative Ionicity

Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside, oh, I do like to be beside the sea...

An oldie but a goody! I'll skip the brass bands and loads of girls (or boys) - or at least take them in small doses. But yes, the seaside is where I like to be. When I'm not in the forests or halfway up a mountain somewhere!

For Nature Friday this week and to complete my little Moray Firth series, I bring you a bit of a mixture.  A few weeks back, you saw the infant seagulls calling for their food in a Saturday Sounds video. Here are two pictures of a family down on the ground. Taken through the door window and at full zoom, so not the best of shots, but I didn't want to scare the parent off and stop the process. The babies give their little piping whistles and knock at the beak of the parent, who takes a while before it regurgitates the daily catch, now suitably 'minced' for easy digestion by the young.



While sitting enjoying my milkshake at the Loch of Soy, I spotted this little fellow...


At the same pond, I found these different reeds... Flowering Rush. Very pretty.


The third place I dropped by was Buckie - a slightly larger town, like Banff, where I topped up on groceries and then drove along the shoreline toward Portgordon. I didn't get as far as that wee toon because I spotted an open piece of land where there were clearly people already parked and camping**. It was all big shingle and views across to the other shore, which would be Invernessshire, Ross-shire, Sutherlandshire. I ended up staying at this place for four nights, for it was glorious. I listened to the tide coming and going, to the Grey Seals singing, to the Oystercatchers, Curlews, various Gulls and Terns... and there was a decent enough signal to watch the Olympics and catch up on YouTube watching!





** Not long after I had parked, there came a knock and a hello. It was Gordon, the Aberdeenshire Council Gypsy Traveller Liason Officer. I had suspected the other vehicles and tents belonged to that community, and he confirmed this. He also advised me that this area was privately owned by a fellow overseas, who paid the council funds to ensure the placement and management of the bins and portaloos I had also observed. It was an acknowledged and permitted campsite for the nomad community. It was accepted that other people, such as myself, would also seek to park there, and it was fine as long as the appropriate respect was paid to the neighbours and the property. Use of the loos and bins was permitted, indeed encouraged. 

Later, I met Ian, the patriarch of the group currently camped. We had a very pleasant chat about his being born nearby at Burghead and living and working here over the years. His is one of those Travelling families that is now in sticks and bricks but meets regularly at this spot to ensure the youth receive education in the culture and traditions of Travellers.


16 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the brief bit about the Gypsy Traveller Liason Officer. Of course some will have moved to sticks and bricks, but good there is someone to be sure travelling youngsters learn of their heritage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post - and good to see some form of 'live and let live' in regards to travelers.
    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos and so interesting about the encounter with the Travellers in Buckie. I know from the time when my local Amnesty International group got involved in a campaign on behalf of Scottish Travellers that there is a huge amount of local prejudice against this community (including among some members of our then Amnesty group).
    Cheers, Gail ( heading SW to Ayr later today).

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow what a moment you caught with your cam... bravo!!! and we love the effects on the water... like gold

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,
    Wonderful series of photos. Love the capture of the gulls, the sky and water view images are beautiful. Lovely flowers by the pond. Take care, enjoy your day and happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are seen so much beauty and added to that amazing people you meet every where you go. I would enjoy the people as much as the views and birds feeding their babies... a win win for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you about the sea. We have huge inland seas close by but it’s not the same as being on the coast with salt in the air and tidal areas creating endless pools to explore. I envy that you are never far from the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome series of photos.
    Take care. Happy Weekend. Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely photos and good to read about the gypsy community and how they are educating the next generation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH YAM and I love it when you are beside the sea too.
    Babies of all species don't like to wait for food they want it YESTERDAY
    Love the sun thru the sheers
    Hugs and happy safe travels
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to read about the liaison officer.
    Near the Velodrome in Newport, on the area of the sports village was a patch of land where one extended family had stopped for two or three weeks every year, had been doing for many generations. Plants in tubs by the caravan steps, tidy little kennels for the dogs. Good people to chat with.
    Then another unconnected lot came and pitched up the other side of the road and made an awful mess... result, everyone cleared off, berms raised , big rocks etc....

    ReplyDelete
  12. What beautiful photos and I love that cute baby Gull!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great shots of the gulls. Mr B wants to encoursge Bernard (the gull that has adopted our garden) to take food from the hand. I suspect that is not a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So many beautiful captures. We love the seaside too, but sadly we are nowhere any of our coasts in Kansas:(

    ReplyDelete
  15. That sounds like a great place to stop for a few days. How nice that they provide some facilities for you to use.

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏