Weeeeelllllllll...
That wee swatch I worked up from the stitch I shared with you last week very quickly became a beanie. I could have just continued in the same fashion as had been presented in the video... but no, the YAMster had to go off-piste.
After that first run (the pattern is an eight-row cover) I opted to slip off the first six stitches of the 38 on the needle and worked the remaining 32 for four rows, remounting those six stitches (without actually knitting them) and then slipped them again for the next four rows. This created a 'fanned' fabric, which I seamed up the back and then easily and quickly pulled the narrower part together to form the crown. I had done this before realising I hadn't photographed the stages... but will be finessing this approach in future knits, so will show and explain more once I've established it as a viable alternative to working a circular hat construction.
Anyway, from the 104 rows at the brim, I picked up stitches and in the first row round reduced these to 98 (it was an Aran weight yarn, remember) on a needle half a size smaller (had used 6mm, so went down to 5.5mm) to create the 1x1 ribbed band. I made sure I caught the front bar of the row ends so that when worn with the brim unfolded, in the 'slouchy' style, it runs smoothly, but when folded back for the full winter protector style, it does so without struggle (like a hinge), and the back loops from the rows form a pretty edging.
I was surprised how little yarn this used, and there was sufficient to make a cowl in the patterning. Just a straight 12-repeat, using the same 38-stitch width, then seamed, and a single crochet edging for the row ends. It is snug without being tight, folds nicely around the neck, and can be pulled up over the nose and mouth for a mid-winter balaclava-like look!
Although this is 100% acrylic yarn, it is amazingly warm, and this pattern style really suited it, so I am very pleased with the result. Originally thinking this would be gifted to Mac1 for her Christmas, it may now be staying with me! Will be making more.
In the meantime, have moved on to the next experiment with this openwork stitch... watch this space, but here's a teaser...








No comments:
Post a Comment
Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏