WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menoical [men-oyik-ul]; the condition of thinking you've forgotten something.


Call me menoical, but one of the things that has been troubling me in recent years is the interruption to the short term memory facility.  I may have mentioned it.

There are some awfully blank spots up here at the front.  This very morning, our tutor said something that only after class did I realise I couldn't recall.  Had to ask one of the young lads.  I'd write things down.  However this requires the presence of the pen and paper that didn't quite make it into the bag - laid them out on the table so as not to forget them, y'know.  Genius-proof.

Absent-mindedness is cute in others.  Hellish in oneself.  It brings up all sorts of grime.  Self-anger.  Self-loathing. Self-punishment. 

There was a time when I ran my entire clinic by memory alone.  No appointments diary.  No telephone listings.  I always had a bit of trouble with names - but (and now am letting out a BIG secret) I used to number my clients then, by associating the number to their face, it was possible to 99.9% remember their name without having to refer to file.  There was that 0.1% moment where this failed.  I don't want to talk about it.

Then the menosoupal rot started to set in.


Double-bookings.  Not marking the bookings and getting unexpected door knocking.  Marking non-existent bookings and waiting anxiously for expected door knocking.  Not marking bookings and being caught up at the shops by the incoming client…

Emm thought it was time I went digital and bought me an electronic diary.  Lovely girl, Emm. Class 1 organiser type.  Always buying me things she thinks I might need.

Trouble is, in those early onset days, patience was also in short supply.  Could never spend time to get the hang of the thing.  That and I kept forgetting it was there.  It is a testament, perhaps, to my practice, that all clients affected by these aberrations were understanding beyond words.  All remained loyal and not once did I receive any complaint.  That didn't stop the menoia setting-in though.  I began to question how they could all be so tolerant.  Not out loud.  That would never do.  Oh no, I let it fester deep inside.

Consequence was that I was in a constant state of thinking I had forgotten so became an obsessive re-checker of appointments.  At least that's how it looked from my side.  The feedback was that everyone liked having the 'confirmation call' and business increased a bit.  Go figure.  Menoia = moola.

I'd rather have the memory though.

2 comments:

  1. I WAS Number one wasn't I? Or is that the Myth?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    ......(how do I tell her it was number 2? no, that just doesn't look right....)

    Yes. <8)

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏