WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Me-now-views; Less Speak More Peek

I have had the great good fortune to have attended two wonderful Christmas events in my two weeks back in Scotland.  

First, in aid of Parkinson's Research, a Concert at Greyfriars Church, Edinburgh.  One of the choirs was the Sing for Fun Choir of the Parkinson's support group, of which my father is a member.  The standard was stunning!!


copyright Yamini Ali MacLean
















There was the Clyde Valley Pipe Band to start and end the program. My word, that lass could spin her sticks!! To hear the skirl, click here!


copyright Yamini Ali MacLean
















Then came the Singing for Fun group (dad is stuck behind the antlers, mid-left...)  They were followed by a youth choir and then an all-ladies amateur group.  The evening was added to by a fun reading and a trio of two violins and piano played by a father/mother/ daughter who hailed form Sri Lanka but are firmly Scots now!  As we rose to go, behind I found this lovely image;


copyright Yamini Ali MacLean

What struck one most was the range of ages in this choir - all of them with a diagnosis of Parkinsonism.  ##

I do hope the evening was successful in its fundraising efforts, for the standard and range of music was outstanding.

If anyone is interested in contacting or finding out more from the organisation, than all you need do is click here!

If you would like to hear the choir, then go to my "tubular" channel!!





As if that wasn't sufficient for Christmas Eve, let me tell you I also attended a Carol Service at which my sister Mac1 was singing and a wonderful brass band was playing.  The standard advent readings were made, but no minister or office was given.  Where did this take place?

No less a venue than ROSSLYN CHAPEL!!!  Yes the very same as was brought to great fame in "that novel"...  There is no photography allowed, but I did ask permission, given that I was attached to the event taking place.  These are not at all good shots (for those go to the web link), but let me tell you, the atmosphere was absolutely magical.


copyright Yamini Ali MacLean
















What?  Can't make out Mac1?  What about this one?


copyright Yamini Ali MacLean



























Still struggling...?

Third time lucky;


copyright Yamini Ali MacLean




In full bellow there my girl!!  

This choir are all 'old girls' of St Margaret's Ladies College in Edinburgh, still in very fine voice I am pleased to report.










So it only leaves me, this fine Christmas Eve, to wish you one and all, the very best of the season and prayers that you have an enjoyable and happy holiday.


M E R R Y   C H R I S T M A S 

from YAM, with Love (captial 'ell'!)


copyright Yamini Ali MacLean
































26th Dec ## post script and correction; I have been advised that not ALL the choir members carry this diagnosis after all.  Silly me, misunderstood this point and I apologise in case of any unintended insult.  YAM xx

5 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas to you and your family too.
    Merle................

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post, Yam. I love the pipe band (rushed to listen, was halfway through my second listen when my husband phoned) and I was first to comment on your YouTube video.
    Sigh. I love pipe bands.
    And I love that there's a choir of people diagnosed with Parkinson's. One of Canada's best known exports is the actor Michael J. Fox, who has Parkinson's, and I've always loved Muhammad Ali, who also has it.
    Hard to tell if your sister looks like you, or if either of you look like your father, but wonderful that you got photos.
    Wishing you and all the MacLeans, whatever the number, the very best of the season.
    Love, K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time in back in Scotland well spent indeed.
    Merry Christmas to you and your musical family,
    from Gail and Bertie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari OM
    Merle - cheers!

    Kay - thank you; We all have our similarities, but much different as well...

    Bertie/Gail - Thank you and to you both!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful. You're obviously making the very best of being back in Scotland, Yam. I hope you had a lovely Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏