WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menooquipment; Big Peeps' Toy

This actually took place a couple weeks back. You may recall there was a delay in last month's visit to Edinburgh due to a dead battery in Li'l Ren. (Or maybe you don't, but it doesn't matter, you know now.) I called out the breakdown service and it took exactly seconds to solve the trouble. I was impressed with the little portable jump-starter the bloke had.

The father and I went on a hunt of various places for something similar... but it was, you'll not be surprised to hear, in the Great Cloud Supermarket that I found what I wanted. The father ordered it for me - an early (very) birthday pressie.

What I love about this great little bit of kit is that it serves for charging my phone and tablet too and the torch on it is excellent. I had no reason to test it on Ren's battery though, so couldn't comment directly about its use in the main purpose of its existence. However, when I was raving about the rest of it to the father, he decided to get one for himself. Turns out he had need of it on his little runabout... and he was chuffed to bits that it worked! The old engineer was doubtful that something which looks like a mobile phone on steroids would be up to the task.





































































We are two happy puppies. We recommend having one of these around. Not having to call out breakdown, or wave down a passing car for a jump is a three-star plus. The back up for charging phones and tabs when away from mains power is a real bonus.

You are, naturally, free to chose any brand you wish to suit your needs... the point here is that one ought to have such a thing around - I am thinking it would be handy in a power outage too, hang a USB warmer onto it... 


17 comments:

  1. Hmm. Looks useful indeed. If only this bit of kit had been around at the time of my first ever car - a 1980's Ford Fiesta and a most reluctant starter. Cheers! Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. is lil Ren an electric car? i am wondering if this would start a big SUV battery. i have one similar to this for my phone, that i carry with me, but it will not start a car battery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found them on Amazon, the one for a car like ours is 180.00 .. there are others that start cars but not for use on anything but cars. good info. waiting to here what lil ren is

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      Hiya Sandra
      Ren is a standard model Renault Megane Scenic 1.6l petrol engine... I did a lot of research and it was the multiple reviews of folk successfully firing up dead car batteries with this little monster which encouraged me - the use for USB charge up of equipment is a plus. As mentioned in the post, Dad bought one for himself when I raved about it and had cause to use it on his 2l Nissan... so yes, it does all it claims; this from the Amazon write up...
      " Smaller but Stronger: Only 9.9oz weight, small enough to fit in your pocket or glove box, it can produce 200 amps of starting current up to 400 amps ( peak current), boost up to 3.5L gas/petrol engines at least 15 times after a full charge."

      Of course, it is possible that the US site has different offers, but here is the link to the RoyPow and you can at least use it as the example by which to judge others.
      Cheers, YAM xx

      Delete
  4. When I was on the road and carried a battery charger for safety, it weighed five pounds or ten--whatever, it was heavy. This is just great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WEll I'll be Aunty what a clever discovery. I bet you and your Dad had fun reading about all info too....we all know you like to research
    hugs HiC

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sure is amazing that a small thing like that works! We have one - and it's saved me once, and then I got to be the hero when my friend's big diesel truck wouldn't start - and the tiny device did the trick. I agree with you. It's worth having one around! I love the USB port and the light also (the USB port would let you charge a dead phone just in case the car's problem isn't the battery and you needed help).

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like a great gadget to have on hand. Thanks for sharing. We will have Mom check it out.

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a handy thing to have! We have some small emergency phone chargers but would be great to have something strong enough to jump the vehicle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow..this sounds like a handy little device to keep around!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My it does look good.
    Merle.........

    ReplyDelete
  11. So far (fingers crossed) I have not yet had any problems. I am parked on a bit of slope too, so might be okay in case of a breakdown. With the emphasis on might of course!

    ReplyDelete
  12. that is a very useful little helper... the mama once waited 87 hours or more for another car what stopped to give her batterie a power-kick... it's ion my list now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done, Ms. Maintenance! You go! We have a bigger charger for the tractor, which sits all winter... you know how it is!

    ReplyDelete
  14. With technological advancement electric items are becoming compact and light!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, my EE hubby likes the looks of this! We have to keep a battery backup for his C-PAP machine. He has rescued more than a few folks with it, too. Great idea for gifts, though.

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏