WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menonindy - industrious results.

Due to the one-handedness of both parties, there are no photos of the bun baking from two days past. Take it from me, though, it worked surprisingly well. I can do much myself. Most of the kitchen work, really. Need help with twisting off caps or ripping paper, but I am a whizz at doing the washing up one-handed and even can make soup (just chuck the veg in more or less whole to cook - the masher and stick blender do the rest!) Then there are the ready-meals which proliferate these days. Normally avoid those but there is no denying their convenience in the current restriction. Chopping fruit and veg has even become a skill - stab first then slam down.  The big risk is that I end up with RSI in the healthy wrist!

Back to the buns. You didn't ask, but here it is anyway. You will need a muffin tin of 12 pots. Set the oven for 180'C/350F to preheat.

  • 1 cup chopped dried fruit (I put raisins and chopped dates, but figs, sultanas, currants, prunes would all suit; apricot and cherries not so much as these are intended for health over sweet!)
  • 1 cup cold tea - we had Assam, but this could be anything for flavour
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1 cup plain yoghurt
  • 2 eggs (without the shells, she says, knowing someone somewhere needs to be told this...)
  • 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
  • 1          "        golden, or brown, sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
  • 2 cups self-raising flour + as much more as required (another half cup maybe) to mix to a stiff-dropping batter. Do not overmix, just ensure all dry is incorporated.
Divide the mixture 12 ways evenly (approx tablespoon and a half per unit). Bake for 30 minutes and test for 'spring back' - should be firm, but give up to an extra five minutes bake if you wish.

These are a marriage of my own yoghurt cake mixture and memories of my mother's 'health loaf' which used the tea-soaked fruit and All Bran... the results are a firm, barmbrack sort of bun which I ate split, buttered and spread with honey and with a banana on the side. They may not look that big, but the cereal and dried fruit have good, low glycaemic index, thus held fully until lunchtime. (Just one. Two would have been gluttony!)

Now... the question is... can the Hindertwig tales appear next week?????




12 comments:

  1. Surely you heard the loud cackle at "2 eggs (without the shells, she says, knowing someone somewhere needs to be told this...). That cracked me up...pun intended. I love your graphics too and recipe.
    Hugs HiC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe. I once shared a flat with a girl who probably would have needed the "no egg shells" instruction...
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOl - without the shells - too funny!!! We used to save eggshells for our nesting canary:)

    All I need now is a good cuppa hot tea to go with one of thosebuns:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I would have to dig a bit to get my muffin pans/ It does sound good.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it!!! and we will try it... and we will try to make the eggs nekked before we use them ;O)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. these muffins sound delish to me. yummmmm…. you are making me think about all kinds of things that are hard with one hand. I had not even thought about washing dishes, the common things we do every day become an issue. I have found in the past, we need every finger and every toe. if one gets hurt, we don't realize how much we use it until we can't.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You sound amazing! Good for you. We had a horrid incident last year and a woman my age (60s) lost both legs. She is distraught. She just doesn't know how to cope. She is leaving rehab soon,but I do not envy her.
    I'm still wallowing in depression some days. Yesterday, an incident with a weird lady when I was buying a white pumpkin to adorn. It just defeats me.
    Take care, I am glad to read of your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds yummy. Mom's bubble in her eye affects her depth perception so she leaves any food chopping to Dad BOL!
    HUGS
    Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well may have to give this a shot.

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏