WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menopologetics; the defence of gratitude

Does gratitude need to be defended? Yes, in some ways it does, because so often in the world today, our first response to things is actually aggressive - even if it is when we are saying 'thank you'. Who hasn't experienced the grouchy salesperson saying 'thanks' with a voice that is actually saying 'what a bother'? Or the family member using 'thank you' almost as a challenge? Or all the empty thanks which are uttered purely as custom, rather than genuine intent?

Confession; in the challenge of recent weeks, even the YAMster has failed a bit in her Love All as One approach to life!

This needs to be remembered when one is spouting about Universal Love, the capital 'ell' variety. When one is the midst of mayhem of any description, be it entirely personal and local, or in the wider context of work or community, that empathetic quality is one of the first casualties. It is what survival of the fittest is all about.

That is the thing which catches us out. We are, in our physical makeup, nothing more than the animals. We ARE animal, in construction and to large extent in our behaviour. We are captivated by animals as we see their behaviours and social connections and identify with 'oh that is so human'! It is not that these things are human, it is that the human animal has the same as all its siblings of the animal world.

What separates our species from the rest of the animal world - it is worth repeating - is the intellect. Being of the ape family, we were able to evolve that very organ of thinking due to the habit of curiosity, the rise of enquiry and the skill to adapt and use things as a result of discovery.

Which brings me to my thanks for being in Blogville. This is a space in the ether where like minds join, share, care and laugh or cry. It is also a place of discovery as we learn things about each other and the way we each see the world. We have the power of words as well as the power of love between us, joining us in a true 'web' of compassion and empathy. Some of us have had the great good fortune to have met in the flesh/furs and this adds further joy. It also affirms that those we have not physically met are no less appreciated.

It is here that I have been able to explore, enquire, adapt to different threads, and as a result, develop  - mainly in writing, but to some extent in personality. In a world so riddled with a lack of gratitude, I am so very, very grateful that I discovered Blogville!!!



15 comments:

  1. yes... I totally agree... even when the mama grinned at our dad while reading about the apes ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YaYa,
    Bravo bravo bravo what a meaningful THANKFUL post!!! I (with a capital LL) Love the part about our evolving!!!

    Now I must at this point say...what has happened to the "you are welcome" response to thank you....
    95% of the time when I say thank you to anyone doing something for me in the public I get 'no problem'. What in the world does that even mean, from where did it originate?!! It poses so many questions in my mind's eye when I hear 'no problem'!!!
    Hugs HiC

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried blog hop once, and for me it was such a failure. That was so long ago!
    Gratitude, though, a whole 'nother matter. Sometimes the great heartedness of blogville brings me to tears. Never overlook an opportunity to be thankful. And, thanks for Flower of the Forest. Then I put on Skye Boat Song. Can't hear too many pipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari Om
      ta Joanne - though changed the listening choice this very day even as your comment crossed through - I don't think you'll have any objection to the next choice either, though! Yxx

      Delete
  4. wow! you said it perfectly. just how I feel.. but so much better than I could say it. ditto on Eye's Bravo!!!! you hit the nail on the head.... this

    We have the power of words as well as the power of love between us, joining us in a true 'web' of compassion and empathy says it ALL for me. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Often I think we look on being thankful as being a weakness as we needed someones help to do do something we couldn't which is true but we don't like to admit it.
    Merle......

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so thankful that you are part of Blogville too. Your posts remind us to slow down and be thoughtful. Your generosity of spirit shines through in every comment. I am thankful for *you".

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautifully written expression of the gratitude many of us feel for our warm and compassionate cyber community.
    Looking forward to the weekend (despite the weather forecast!)
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful way to express what many of us would like to say but haven't the literary expertise to express ourselves. We are indeed part of the animal kingdom and from what I've seen throughout my life there are some animals I prefer to some of the people but, fortunately, most folk have been kind to me for which I am grateful.
    I am attempting to stay in blogsville and people like yourself inspire me to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aunty Yam, I try sooo hard to be grateful fur EVERY treat I am given but sometimes I fail 'cos I ALWAYS want more!!!!
    Butt, having read your beautiful worded post above I WILL try harder
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Even though I have only met you in the 'furs', I do count my Blogville friends as friends and they have helped me a lot over the past year, dealing with issues big and small. And I am thankful for each and every one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are newcomers to your beautiful blog and love it already!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are thankful for your friendship and love how you always inspire us to look deeper into ourselves
    love
    Hazel, Mabel & Mom

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏