WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menotographix; continually trying

In pursuit of a reasonable shot of the lights of Wymess Bay at night, I realised that I required a tripod. I am developing a (very) slight tremor which is not at all noticeable except when trying to keep Fudge absolutely still. Bracing against the window jamb, stilling the breath, you name it I try it. For the moon shots, no problem. For lights, dreadful. The length of exposure just will not allow for any - ANY - movement.

Good ol' A-store had the tripod to me post-haste. The fourth night after the supermoon, the clouds cleared and a decent shot of the waner was taken. Then the tripod was mounted and lots of shots were taken of Wymess Bay lights. Most of them not turning out any better than when handheld.

What the...???!!!

Okay. So the 'pod is a cheapy, but still. I noted that the weight of Fudge was causing a slight droop on the angle even as the image was shooting. It needed a really strong twist of the relevant knob to keep that from happening. Even then I was getting images with vibration. Mind you, this one made me think of fireworks and I don't mind the result in those terms;

It took me a while to realise that this was happening purely from the depression of the shutter button. I have quite the firm grip and was still holding Fudge as if by hand, not letting the 'pod take the load. The aforementioned tendency to shift on the axis also meant that even with the screw tightened to the point of busting, there was a 'bounce' when I pressed the button. Hence the up and down effect.

When the penny dropped, I practiced a few shots by not holding Fudge at all and simply pressing the button as quickly and lightly as I could. Below, you will see the best outcome from that. However, since then, in one of my night-time reveries, it dawned on me that I ought to be using the two-second delayed release timer, then it can be entirely hands-free... will have to wait for another clear night to try that one out!


20 comments:

  1. Very very nice YaYa...both photos are quite nice!! First one looks like a big city with high rises!
    Is it the arm you broke giving you the trouble?
    Hugs HiC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      If you mean about the tremor, no - that has been in the background for a couple of years and is part of the reason most of my teleshots with the Fudge are a little less than sharp. If can get the tripod doing what I hope, crisper shots could be mine again. On the other paw... Fudge is ageing too. Yxx

      Delete
  2. Applause, although I do like the abstract of the movement too!!! I always forget about the delay also...I finally broke down and got an inexpensive remote shutter release in hopes of getting some star shots soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      Yes, was pondering a remote release... but cannot locate one for my rather old model. Could risk a few bucks and hope for the best... but if the timer option works, it will serve my immediate needs. Yxx

      Delete
  3. Love that final shot, and I'll look forward to your efforts on the next clear night (could be a while.. )
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say I love the fireworks effect but understand that is not what you wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would suggest the timed release, too. Do you have any instructions, on line? You should be able to get more than two seconds, though that is plenty of time to "stand back from the camera, m'am!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      Oh yes, it has the ten second timer also, but for this purpose two seconds is all that is required... the timer being specifically for triggering the shutter - not actually timing the shot. That is determined by the setup of aperture, exposure, whitebalance etc... Yxx

      Delete
  6. I don't use a tripod very often but I know some shot, especially at night, make life much easier. I do like your photos. We all need to practice, practice, practice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pics.Keep clicking.
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually like the fireworks effect. Also really like how silver the water looks in the second photo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the photots... it is like petula clarks song in pictures ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both of your shots are clear and beautiful. Mom got a tripod thingy with her camera when she bought it ions ago and it's still in the box put away somewhere. Maybe she should use it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wouldn't mind a tripod, but I can't see myself lugging it about everywhere on my bike. Although they do fold up I believe.

    I hope you get the right night to practice again, there was definitely a difference between photo 1 and 2. It can only get even better!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have the same problem, but have not bought a tripod because I don't do nightshots since I go to bed at 8 pm. no need for one. I once asked a photographer how she took such great shots in the dark, the answer was a tripod plus a remote switch to the camera. they don't cost much. she never touches the camera once it is set.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Creative night shots! ~ like the effect ~

    Happy Moments to You,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The lack of the steady hands of younger years finds me doing all sorts of things when I take my camera on walks. And a tripod on a walk makes for just more weight. Then there is the wind. Even tripods and remote switches do not help with that. Lovely photos, YAM! namaste, janice, xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      Yes, the wind is definitely a factor here too!!! This tripod is not that heavy compared to what I used to carry around years ago - and it also comes with a shoulder sling bag which is nice; that said, I find I am leaving Fudge fastened to it and use it to carry Fudge over my shoulder - which is actually quite comfy (was doing this with my monopod too). Yxx

      Delete
  15. Both photos are great
    hugs
    Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, when I was trying to photograph a moon, I read that somewhere. The timer is excellent! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏