WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menoptimism; The Wedding Part Two

Saturday 11th May, Shali and Aruni's second function started at 4:30pm in one of the gardens of the Oatlands House venue - slap bang in the middle of a golf course. The "thwack-thwack" that I thought was the chopping of coconuts, turned out to be, golfers on the tee behind the poruwa...

Very little seating was provided so a goodly number of the 160+ guests had to stand for the 90 minutes. It was also, remember, autumn. I needed my shawl over my waistcoat over my three layered tops (including thermal vest). The Bride and her Maids, dressed in attire most of my readers would be familiar with, were practically bare at the top. If it had been sunny enough, we might have seen that they were turning blue. However, it was also dusk and getting darker - hence my photos were rather less and of poorer quality, as all had to be taken from the seat I pretty much commandeered.


The first part of the ceremony was the Buddhist one and was quickly followed by the third ceremony - the Australian-required civil ceremony in which signing of certificates and things took place.  These formalities were actually over by 5:40pm, but we were forced to remain outside in the 5'C + wind until exactly 6pm, who knows why.

This was the nature of the venue, the timing and people management thing. Very different and altogether rather more 'commercial shark' feeling. The indoor function was again what many would be familiar with, in that there was a menu with 'choice' of three items per each of the three courses. It was okay-ish, but (for me at least) not a patch on the Wednesday feast!

This event was more to the choice of the couple and what disturbed a fair few of we older types was that the music was blaring from the minute we sat down. No waiting till the meal and conversation was over. The DJ was asked several times to turn it back a bit, but it just kept creeping back up to hand-signals only for talking. I appreciate that this is the modern way - but almost as my desert came before me, the sexy dancing and wiggling hips and flashing lights and even more decibels arrived.

I had to leave the room. Didn't feel good about that, but the chairs were also very bad for my back (no support whatsover, just metal spokes) and I was actually in quite some discomfort. I was most grateful that my friends who had picked me up to take to the place, were also ready to leave at that point and were able to run me back to the Train Rooms. I am very happy for Shali and his new wife, but it was as much as this ol' bod could cope with!!!

I spent the Sunday getting out of that room, by getting the bus down to Parramatta, the big centre West of Sydney and wandered the shops for a bit. Getting back, I packed and prepared for the early take-off on Monday. I was headed to Queensland!




16 comments:

  1. Oh YaYa I know exactly what you mean about the guest being 'asked' to wait an unreasonable amount of time. Not at
    considerate no matter temperature. Guests are GUESTS
    Once we went to a wedding, we are accustom to waiting about 30 minutes for after ceremony photos but this was almost 2 hours and it was a dinner. We were waiting BECAUSE the Bride's mom had some kind of melt down. So the Bride, whose day it was, had to cater to Mom instead of the other way around.
    And the horribly uncomfortable rented chairs YIKES.
    I don't like loud blaring music EVER when eating home or out. As for the dancing, Baptist don't allow it if the reception is held at the church. Most couples now opt for reception at at different venue...which is $$$$
    My mama had a saying that surely applies to you and I know she is smiling down.
    Mama always said 'make do'! LOL
    Understanding hugs
    HiC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blue flesh and goosebumps are often much in evidence in Duthie Park, a favourite spot for wedding photos. Part 2 does indeed sound like a major test of endurance. I say well done for holding out for so long!
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that's not the way to enjoy a lovely wedding.
    Loud music and unappetizing food hard chairs.Yikes
    I think you lasted long than I would have.
    Looking forward to your adventures in Queenlands

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate to the discomfort of the venue and especially the damn music. I suppose with eyes constantly down on the phone, ears don't notice the extra noise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The couple looked quite lovely, butts yeah, not a fun way to spend it. I applaud you for lasting as long as you did!
    I can't waits for Queensland....
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooh how wonderful... and what a beautiful couple...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I once saw a wedding party in Canada and it was freezing! The ceremony was held overlooking the glacier and there was some wind as well... She 'looked' happy enough, but she must have been so glad the minute she got indoors with a nice cup of hot cocoa!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful couple and lovely photos ~ do hope your back is ok ~

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  9. the wedding party looks so beautiful in the colorful clothing. and the couple is so handsome together. I don't know how you are the guests and wedding party stayed out there with it that cold. I am a wimp. my cousins daughter got marrie din our hottest month of the year, outside in a garden at 3 in the afternoon. I did not go. I don't do any better in heat than cold. glad you could go .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a stunning couple! And now that event is done. namaste, janice xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. The ceremony looks gorgeous and the bits that you photographed are quite interesting! So sorry you had to leave early, but these things happen and, I really feel the need to leave early more and more. I'm sure it hasn't got ANYTHING to do with my age--HA

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful pictures and the bride is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gosh. I hear your pain! It all LOOKS beautiful, though! Great photos, all told. I never even thought of the season.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Yam - loved the photos ... but can totally understand your comments. Still you were there ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏