WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menowerwhelmery - the finding of less than expected

Last Thursday you saw what sort of accommodation could be found which is full of delight and surprise and kindness.

This Thursday, let me pick up from the point where Julie and Tony dropped me at the bus stop in Mosman and I made my way by bus to Chatswood. There, I was to meet a friend, but that fell through so I continued up the line to Hornsby and Mt Colah. I had made the decision to drop the Beast Luggage on Emm's porch on that day (which was actually a Thursday, but May 9th - yes am all out of timeline, wotchyagonnadoo???) so had packed it with the cabin bag at the top for ease of separation. This I did and then caught the bus back to Hornsby for a 90 minute lunch break before taking the first of two buses it was going to require to get me to Telopea Train Rooms, my next abode.

I arrived in Telopea at 4:45pm, a bit tired and a bit caught out at how very hilly it was. The climb from the bus stop and the convoluted route meant another fifteen minutes before I arrived at the door of a very ordinary suburban house. I was puggled. Ringing the bell I was a little surprised to be greeted by a tiny, elderly Chinese lady with no English. Behind her came a man with about half a dozen words of English.

Let me clarify. When I book via my website of choice, all of the properties are taken for what they say they offer, plus their ease of access and vicinity to place of focus. After five years, I was for the first time to discover one of those which was less than claimed. A lot less. Such as English spoken, clean, and lots else. I DID know that there was to be a share bathroom but a classification of 'homestay' usually means that this is with not more than another couple, maybe three folk.

Rather than give you a litany of what was disappointing about this place, such as the stair which was not declared and the fact this was more a hostel and as many as ten people were using the one toilet, one shower and one wash basin and that all were speaking Chinese and seemed to have no English, that I had to clean the toilet floor myself because I couldn't face it and that I didn't use the washbasin at all for the whole four nights due to the state of it; or that I nearly froze due to the very thin cover and the pillows stank of many heads and my back began to sieze up and became very painful because the matress was so bad and the carpet so poor I couldn't do my usual trick of sleeping on the floor... yes, rather than all that and more, let me tell you a couple of positive things.

The place was a stone's throw from the venue of The Wedding Part Two and when I went out on the Friday morning to find some food (having not eaten since lunch the previous day - no croissants here!), The Man did at least offer me their shopping trolley so I didn't break my arms carrying the bags back up that hill again, and also showed me the 'short cut' through the fence of the Governement Housing scheme to avoid all the curves I had encountered before arriving. The Mama at least smiled and did try to get me to cook in the kitchen, but if I told you of the smell of meat and other (to me) overpowering odours, you will understand my reluctance. I lived on tomatoes, capsicum, avocado and lettuce with wraps and bananas for all but the Wedding Feast.

It couldn't have been a more opposite experience to the previous stay! The bit that really got me was the lack of transparency on the listing. I am working on my review and whether to take it further...

Needless to say I won't be seeking a return visit here. On the Saturday, there was the wedding function (see that here tomorrow) and on the Monday morning, very early, I was out that door. Only at that point did the owner who DID have (limited) English come to introduce herself wondering when I was going to vacate. Too late lady. I headed to the airport.


***************************************************************************
To brighten up this post, let me remind you that FFF with YAM-aunty is coming upon us again very soon - Friday 31st May to be exact! Ruffle those pages, seek the online readers, go to page 87 and lines 8, 12, 16 and draw out some words to use in a tale, a remembrance, a poem - something creative with words!!!


14 comments:

  1. Dang YaYa the RRI in Indiana was a 5* compared to that.
    Yikes....I am so sorry especially about the bathroom that would have sent me into a proper hissy fit.
    Poooor poooor representation!
    Hugs HiC

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound grim indeed. Reminds me of a place in the Northern France where my friend Dagmar and I once, many moons ago, fetched up on another cycling holiday and where all the other rooms on our corridor appeared to be being used as dog kennels....Thankfully it was only for one night.
    Here's hoping the rest of your stay is spent in cleaner and more congenial accommodation.
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are very kind to try to find something good to say about that place. The risks one takes when traveling, but this was horrid!!! We would encourage you to write that honest review.

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  4. How awful. Please do write that honest review. Or, let us do it! You know my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG!such a filthy place.Traveling travails are so real!Hope things pan out better for the remaining part of vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so sorry that you landed at norman bates momma too... we always have that kind of "luck" when we travel

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMW I guess this proves there most likely will always be one fly in every ointment. glad you survived it and I assume there was no way to go somewhere else. we once stayed in a stinky place and had registered for 3 nights, after the first one we told them we were leaving and drove off to find another place to stay... hope you are in comfy place while I am writing this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari om
      Had prepaid. Did think about cutting losses but really place within my budget any where close. Yes, am back at Emm's for my last week! Yxx

      Delete
  8. That sure doesn't sound like a pleasant place to stay. You should definitely right an honest review so others don't suffer the same.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a shame that a portion of your vaca you had to endure THIS! It's just not right!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well glad you are in a good place now and relaxing ~

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear! Sorry you had to go through that. I think a review is in order to at least warn others
    hugs
    Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't you just hate it when it is less than advertised :/ namaste, janice xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is horrid. Such deception. I recall such disappointment in Banff. It was three flights up and my foot was sore. No elevators.
    I hope you register a complaint. It will help other people! ta!

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏