WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

MenoSundays; Life Lived Lovingly

After a few weeks of a rather gloomy YAMster, I thought I'd attempt to bring you some kind of good news story. I did a search, you know, as you do...

Dismal. The world over. Even the couple of little 'not negative' stories were rather narcissistic and not something for which the community could heave a collective sigh of relief and hope. It goes without saying, really, that politics dominates on both sides of the Big Pond and I defy anyone to say anything positive about all of that.

To be honest, over this time of lurgy and withdrawal, I managed (for the most part) to avoid the news. I was depressed enough, thank you very much.

More and more I see the benefit of embracing the hermit life.

However, I am no isolationist. In a time when the world seems determined to tear itself into ever-smaller parts, I believe there is a need to opt for togetherness. The pendulum will swing again. It always does. It also has to be admitted that sometimes we have to break bonds that have become truly toxic. How to know who to hold onto and who to release?

The measure is really quite simple. Are you being damaged/taken for granted in the relationship, or are you the guilty party? How can you tell which is the case?

When thinking about the situation in a relationship, is the predominance of your discussion centred on "they/he/she are constantly doing this or that or the other" and what they are doing is causing you pain in some measure or damaging the wider circle. OR, is the predominance of your discussion centred on "I/me and what they/he/she are doing" and all about yourself.

In the first instance, you are likely to be looking for resolutions and keen to give 'second chances'. In the second, it is likely to be entirely selfish and there is an expectation of the world changing to make you feel better.

Conversely to how you may think this is playing out, it is actually in the latter case that change needs to happen and better efforts made. Don't break ties just because you are not getting everything your way. Take a long, hard look and fit yourself into the bigger picture. It is never too late to say sorry and start over, entering into a true spirit of togetherness.

If you are a mediator/fixer and hoping to make things work even when all the evidence points to failure, if it is clear that all the give is yours and the take is theirs, I say again, take a long, hard look and a deep breath and prepare to withdraw.


...well, that went a route I wasn't expecting. Does it mean anything to anybody?


11 comments:

  1. I love the picture and I truly think you needed to say/write this and I bet it helped a bit.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  2. about a week ago, I stoped reading/looking at news. I still get a little from sound coming down the hall from Bob's news surfing, but I have managed to miss most of it and I also stopped going on Facebook. I felt better in just a couple of days. all the news is depressing, and I thought what can I do about any of this I am putting in my brain. the answer is nothing. of course I missed a few friends that have problems and illness by skipping FB.. I truly believe that -wi-fi and internet and all our on line devices are a big cause of all the hullabaloo going on in this world. am I selling my computer and turning off wifi? not yet but I wish I could make myself do it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      Yet, if not for these very things, you and I would not have 'met' - or all the other wonderful folk I have connected with through Blogging! I have no desire to put the genie back in the bottle; I do 'wish' though, that folk were better at 'self-filtering'... hey ho...

      Of course, there is a political subtext to this which I hadn't quite realised I was harbouring! Yxx

      Delete
  3. Can I recommend an article in yesterday's Guardian. Two young people offering some hope in a gloomy world: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jun/29/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-met-greta-thunberg-hope-contagious-climate
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It means a lot and came at a moment where I needed it.

    Klem

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post! Molly and I spend a lot of time together at home and we are happy and fulfilled with it just being the two of us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The world is a sad place now. May we all find some sun shine in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Yam - I have to say I'm glad the tennis, cricket and even football is on - anything to get away from BO-BR-TR ... let us just keep to ourselves ... and let things we can't change disappear for a while ... take care and jet lag from long holidays does take time to get over ... it'll happen - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Yam ~ agree with your reflection about the world ~ I wonder if it is because I am 'older' and have more time to reflect or if we were always a world in conflict and when I was younger I was too busy to really see and feel it like I do now ~
    I find that 'holidays' reawaken our awareness and clarity opens and we are aware more ~ A 'mixed bag' at best ~

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes it does mean something. I have made the choice to be very selective on who I "friend" on FB. I don't want drama, negativity and such to pull me down. It is just some that always project those vibes I don't need

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm one who opts for togetherness. With like-minded and unlike-minded. The only condition is civility. Which is not to be found in politics anywhere in the world right now.

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏