WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

MenoSundays; Life Lived Lovingly

At last, we return to the series on the 'shatripuu' - the six enemies of personality which anchor us the mire of life. Here is the story so far:
Part One - structure
Part Two - the effort
Part Three - kaama/desires
Part Four - krodha/anger
Part Five - lobha/greed

Madaa. The general translation is 'arrogance', but this is - again - one of those words with many connotations in context. The arrogance referred to is not merely the egotistical nature, but what that ego allows the individual to think they can get away with in poor behaviour. 

Drunkenness, lewdness, wantonness, presumption - and all the shades in between.

The flouting of socially undesirable traits is the arrogance of one with this shatripuu. In our current age, we have a lot of understanding of the mechanical drivers of addictions of all kinds. Indeed, we have developed sympathy and 'political correctness' about not pointing fingers - because "there but for Grace go I". 

Looking after and offering assistance to those who have tumbled is noble. It is proper. But a reminder again that this series is about scrutinising ourselves. I give my example.

I very (very) rarely take alcohol. Two or three times a year. Even then, it is very measured. Drunkenness, then, cannot be a label for me, can it? No? What about the binge-watching of films and television that takes place a couple of times a month? For an entire day or night, I am lost to it, and nothing else can enter. WE CAN BE DRUNK ON MANY THINGS - it means 'excessive intake'.

I live a Brahmachari lifestyle - celibate and single. Where is there lewdness, then? Well, it is true this one plays no part in my life. What about wantonness? This applies not just to the sexual character - it refers to social rebellion, mischievousness and lack of discipline. I am definitely prone to these. Not in a way that would necessarily affect anyone around me - but it pulls down my own nature when I lapse into sarcasm, think uncharitable thoughts, or spend an entire week without my bra on. What? You think that the last one doesn't matter? It comes down to the mental state, the discipline. Making an effort to dress correctly for the day puts one into the frame of mind for productivity and attention to detail. (I dressed fully today as I needed to schedule a heap of posts for the bloggies!) It's not that I can't produce when 'bra-less' but that there is a different mindset. WE CAN ALL BE LAX IN ONE OR MORE AREAS OF OUR LIFE.

Presumption - "behaviour perceived as arrogant, disrespectful, and transgressing the limits of what is permitted or appropriate." - I can hear most of you who know me personally saying this would not be true of me. No? What about my tendency to want to shed hugs upon all and sundry? It took me many years to realise that not everyone is able to receive what is given without feeling invaded. It is presumptive of me just to lunge in for that squeeze. A minor misdemeanour, perhaps, in the field that could be somewhat more challenging, but it is still an example. Now, if I am uncertain how it will be received, I ask permission. WE ARE ALL GUILTY OF PRESUMPTION AT ONE TIME OR OTHER - and sometimes far too often. There are folk who presume all the time that they are in the right, that their way must be the only way, that everyone loves this, that, or the other...

Are you getting the drift? It is so easy to look at a list like the shatripuu and 'presume' it is for everyone else but ourselves!


9 comments:

  1. Very interesting and thought provoking post.
    Is watching four rugby games on TV in one weekend allowed?
    Cheers! Gail (approaching Stonehaven).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      Oh that is definitely 'drunkenness' of the sporting kind - my penance is to produce at least one decent poem between matches! Yxx

      Delete
  2. Oh YAM...when B is watching a poor display from N C State University...there is no poetry coming out of his mouth...
    Hugs HiC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      bbbwwwahahahahahahahah;......cough splutter..... oh you made me CACKLE OUT LOUD!!! Tell B-bro that even that language can become poetic, if arranged musically!!! Yxx

      Delete
    2. Maybe since I'm the poet in the family I should not leave the room shaking my head.
      I need to listen more carefully.

      Delete
  3. my personality always causes me to presume whatever the article is about that I am at fault and have all the things I should not have. I think all of us have some of all that you mentioned. the only think I take umbrage with is the no bra thing. I have all my life gone braless when at home, I hate bras and believe they were invented by MEN to make women look better and they hurt my chest and drive me CRAZY. I put one on to go off my property but the second I step in the house it comes off. if God intended us to wear a bra he would have put one on us. ha ha. I am just so very thankful I di dnot live in any other century where the womens body was encased in all those tight clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There many shades of different parts of all of our lifes. But I try to keep my mind when I am point my fingers at someone there three pointing back at me.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am trying to 'keep life simple' ~ Mind, Body and Spirit ~ How I dress in my home 'my sanctuary' is my choice ~ How I dress publicly again is 'my choice.' ~ Be and do who you are.

    Happy Day to You,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not keen of bras these days. It cough and breathing issues seems irritated by the slight extra pressure. So sports bras have been the main wearing. namaste, janice.

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏